Display dormvibes
by Mia Renee Cole

11 Dorm Rooms That Are Literally Goals

By Mia Renee Cole - Aug 28 2016

One of the most exciting parts of freshman year is the opportunity - for the first time - to decorate your dorm room. For many, decorating your new dorm isn't just trendy or fun, it's a unique way to express yourself in a space that's all yours. These college students went all-out when decorating their dorms, and they're literally goals.

1. Not-So Simply Southern

twitter.com

Having gone viral, freshmen Lindy Goodson and Abby Bozeman at Ole Miss channeled their inner southern charm to create an elegant, sophisticated room. Since initially tweeting pictures of their dorm, Lindy got over 3,000 retweets and a mass amount of attention - both good and bad - before making her Twitter account private. According to Buzzfeed, the girls found most of their decor at T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, Pottery Barn and local antique stores. Regardless of what you think, you have to admit that pulling off their extravagance takes some serious dedication.

2. Fresh & Modern

Anna Peony, 18 year old blogger based in Hamburg, shared her new room with her Instagram followers. She included a tapestry from Urban Outfitters and fresh flowers, giving the room a fresh, modern look.

3. "Life is Strange"

Lauren, a graphic design major, said she was going for a "Life is Strange" scene when capturing this photo. Her dorm room includes lantern lights and a wall of Polaroid photos.

4. Minimalist

Maria Aponte, a student at Lynn University, posted a picture of her very minimalist dorm on her Instagram. The use of whites, grey and twinkling lights make her room look like something off of Pinterest. If this is what minimalism is, I want to be a part of it.

5. "Life is Only as Boring as You Make It"

Joey Asti's Instagram bio says, "Life is only as boring as you choose to make it. Every second brings a new adventure," and his dorm room definitely encompasses this ideal. Incorporating neutral colors and golds, the mini gallery wall and decorative pillows really pulls everything together. "I really just love unique pieces and things that make me happy or that represent me in some way," Joey told Fresh U, "Everything I use is something that makes me happy when I look at it." Joey finds most of his stuff at T.J. Maxx and Ross because they provide a "mash up of a lot of different styles and brands."

6. World Traveler

Connor Israel, a freshman at Texas A&M, showed his worldliness with his world map and his "The Great Wave of Kanagawa" tapestry. It's not just his room that exudes a sense of travel, Connor himself has done an extensive amount of traveling. He's an International Relations major and spent the last six years living in both Serbia and Germany. When asked about his style, Connor said, "I try to make my style reflect both my past experiences and my hopes for the future." He explained that, on the opposite wall of this picture, he has a large cork board covered in old boarding passes and trinkets from his traveling. "The best part is waking up and looking around a room that I know is my own and not from some institutional cookie cutter," Connor explained.

7. Boho Chic

Maggie Pierson showed off her boho bed on her Instagram. Complete with neutrals and pastels, unique wall art and Polaroid photos, Maggie's room is both modern and bohemian.

8. Spiderman

Angel D on Twitter posted pictures of her son, Almonia, in his new dorm room at Northwestern State University. Almonia may be a freshman at NSU but he's definitely in touch with his roots - his childhood roots that is. Mad props.

9. "Cozy Little Nook"

Brooke Crawford, a freshman at University of North Texas, captioned her photo "cozy little nook," and what a cozy lil' nook it is. Using earth tones, lofting her bed a bit and incorporating a unique rug with a tapestry, her room is definitely an ideal boho style. "I've always liked to be different," Brooke explained, "so I guess that's what inspires me." She said that she didn't want her dorm looking like everyone else's and found her style inspiration from Urban Outfitters, but usually tries to find her decor at a less expensive price at places like Tuesday Morning. It looks like a great place to take a nap, or maybe contemplate the philosophical meaning of life. 

10. Classy Living Space

Rose Harlow posted a picture of her new dorm which includes a lofted bed, tulle, fairy lights and an elegant living space. Her room comes complete with an entire sitting area fit for a princess, proving the point that even common college students should be living in elegance.

11. Fridge Goals

Okay, so maybe it's not an actual room, but Regyna Han's dorm fridge is actually goals. I mean, look at all that food - she has a mix of healthy and junk, complete with fruit, carrots, hot dogs and bologna. The girl also has eggs to last her a lifetime. She comes prepared, and in style.

Decorating your dorm is a great way to truly show your personality, and it can help you feel a little less homesick during your first year of school. You don't have to go as far out as some of these students, but making sure you feel comfortable in your dorm, and you like the way it looks, is a great way to transition easily into the college lifestyle.

Lead Image Credit: Maria Aponte via Instagram

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at miareneecole.com!