Display hangover1
by Mia Renee Cole

10 Goals to Set for Yourself Second Semester

By Mia Renee Cole - Jan 07 2016

Sadly, Christmas break is coming to an end. What does this mean for us? Our second semester of college represents, not just a new year, but a fresh start for our college experience. By the end of our first year we'll hopefully have everything under control. Let's set some goals (and actually complete them) for our second semester of college to help guide us all the way through graduation.

1. Make a study schedule.

It's kinda hard to study when we don't actually have plans to study. By allotting certain times out each day to study, we are automatically giving ourselves a free pass to easily make an A. 

2. Get more sleep.

Sleep is essential for the endless college work that we are expecting this spring. Let's make a goal to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night, or at least a lot of naps during the day.

3. Call our parents more.

We don't think about calling our parents every day because, well, we're too busy. Our folks have sent us to college, though, and worry about us constantly. Just touching base with our parents once a day can't hurt and will assure them that we're actually mature, thoughtful adults.

4. Go to more office hours.

It's true that we didn't take as much advantage of our professors' office hours last semester as we should have. Making a promise to ourselves that we'll visit our professors for help more this semester will ensure better grades and relationships.

5. Procrastinate less.

This is an obvious goal, but a crucial one. We need to start working on that paper as soon as its assigned, we need to read the chapter before the lecture, we must do our homework on time with no excuses. Procrastination is for losers.

6. Drink less coffee, more water.

Although as college students, we are extremely reliant on caffeine, we should aim to drink less of it and avoid any caffeine crashes. We've continuously been told the health benefits of water, so we should definitely be drinking more of it.

7. Form more study groups.

Studying with a group of people is always more effective than studying alone, especially when we don't understand the material. From the few study groups we had first semester, we learned just how great studying with a group is, so let's aim to study with classmates more often.

8. Have study groups for the ENTIRE semester.

And let's aim to study during the entire course of the semester, rather than just around finals.

9. Don't get sick.

By getting plenty of sleep, drinking lots of water, eating well and studying effectively (to avoid stress), we should (hopefully) remain healthy throughout spring semester. The last thing we need is a cold bringing us down, so let's avoid them at all costs.

10. Be more involved on campus.

College campuses have so much going on. From fun clubs to political movements, there's no reason for us to be sitting in our dorms when we have "nothing to do." Planning to get more involved this semester will broaden our college experience and open our eyes to new things in the world.

Lead Image Credit: Warner Bros. Pictures

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at!