by Mia Martins

5 Fiction Podcasts You Won't Be Able to Stop Listening To

By Mia Martins - Feb 28 2018

When given the opportunity, I can power my way through a TV show or book series like you wouldn't believe. Unfortunately, being in the midst of the semester means that even a one-hour long TV episode is an unreasonable commitment. How am I supposed to get my fiction fix while leading a busy life?

The solution: podcasts. Podcasts are just as addictive, nail-biting and entertaining as any TV show, book or video game. This type of media has been gaining popularity for a while now.  Whoever said that radio was dead was dead wrong because these audio dramas are proving that oral storytelling is definitely an art.

Not only that, but podcasts are infinitely convenient. Unlike reading or watching TV, you don't have to actually look at anything while consuming these stories, making it possible to listen on the go. Personally, I love listening to podcasts while riding the bus, working out or even just walking across campus. Listed below are some recommendations to get you started—just don't blame me if you can't stop.

1. The Bright Sessions

Imagine being able to listen in on a therapist's sessions with her patients. If you're nosy like me, the prospect of hearing everyone's problems, secrets and confessions is intriguing enough. Now imagine that these patients all have supernatural abilities. Oh, and there's also a mysterious, malevolent corporation. Full of vivid characters, The Bright Sessions is produced in short episodes, perfect for quickly sneaking a listen. It's no wonder that this podcast has already been purchased for production on TV.

2. Limetown

Limetown follows a reporter trying to uncover what had caused every resident of Limetown, a research facility and secluded city, to disappear without a trace. With an intriguing premise that keeps you guessing until the end, you'll immediately be hooked on this series. Don't be surprised if you get goosebumps.

3. Homecoming

If your idea of a good time is having Oscar Isaac whisper into your ears, then Homecoming is for you. Isaac plays a soldier dealing with PTSD whose condition is being treated with experimental and ethically questionable methods. I haven't finished this series yet, but I can tell you that his acting undoubtedly elevates the drama.  

4. The Truth

Despite its name, The Truth is not, actually, a nonfiction podcast. Instead, it's an anthology series that plays with format and character, billing itself as "movies for your ears." If you want to hear two women internally and comically raging at each other in a SoulCycle-like setting, then try out Everybody SCREAM!!!

5. Welcome to Nightvale

If you're on Tumblr, you've heard of this one. Welcome to Nightvale is one of the most popular and long-running fictional podcasts. Set in a desert town where every conspiracy theory is true, the episodes are luckily stand-alone, so don't be overwhelmed by the fact that they have over 100.

As you can see, there's no shortage of great fiction podcasts available. This short list only represents a small portion of all the amazing audio podcasts out there—so go forth and discover even more!

Mia Martins - University of San Francisco

Mia Martins is a freshman and Media Studies major at University of San Francisco. You can find her reviewing TV shows under the handle @miaandmedia on Instagram.