Display pots 716579 1920
by Mia Martins

5 Winter Plants Perfect for Growing In Your Dorm

By Mia Martins - Jan 02 2018

After the holidays, winter can seem ironically desert-like, an endless wasteland of school and cold weather that blurs weeks into months. If you're looking for a way to brighten up the next semester, why not try your hand at growing some plants indoors? Not only is this a great addition to your dorm aesthetically, gardening also has physical and psychological benefits. Despite the chill, you can still get your green thumb on, and here are five plants to help you do so.

1. Snake Plant

Pixabay

Deceptively named, this plant looks nothing like a creepy snake and everything like the newest addition to your bedroom. Its deep green leaves create a simple but powerful statement that would compliment any decor or color scheme. Furthermore, this plant also removes toxins from the air, keeping you healthier as flu season rolls around. Plus, it can survive in low light and requires watering only once a week — the perfect houseplant for beginners.  

2. Peace Lily

Pixabay

What's more peaceful than a plant that flourishes in low-to-medium light, necessitates infrequent watering and comes in all different sizes? If you're looking for a bigger plant to occupy empty floor space and add life to your room, look no further than the peace lily, which is one of the most popular indoor plants for a good reason. Not only is it incredibly easy to care for, but you can also control the amount of white spathes it produces based on how much sunlight you give it.

3. Aloe Vera

Pixabay

Though the summer months may seem impossibly far away, keep your eyes on the prize by tending to an aloe vera plant. By the time summer arrives, you'll have a supply of natural sap to help soothe your sunburns. In the meantime, this often-overlooked succulent can grow comfortably with minimal care and moisture. 

4. Kalanchoe

Pixabay

Don't let the winter blues get the best of you — brighten your day with a blossoming kalanchoe! Easy to care for and available in a variety of colors, kalanchoes bloom even in stretches of darkness, proving that conditions don't need to be bright for you to flourish.

5. Amaryllis

PIxabay

Big, bold and beautiful — what more could you ask of a houseplant? All you have to do is plant it, water it and make sure it receives indirect light. Plant amaryllis in January to February to catch its seasonal bloom, which takes as little as six weeks to appear!

These are just a few of the easiest and best-looking houseplants that thrive in the winter, but when it comes to indoor gardening, the sky is the limit. Well, technically your ceiling is — but you get the idea! Now that you've got some inspiration, go forth and plant. 

Mia Martins - University of San Francisco

Mia Martins is a freshman and Media Studies major at University of San Francisco. You can find her reviewing TV shows under the handle @miaandmedia on Instagram.