Display book 2319957 1920
by Mia Martins

5 Authors Who Published a Novel While in College

By Mia Martins - Jan 16 2018

Age is nothing but a number and for these authors, their speciality lies in words. There are always going to be those overachievers who manage to find self-made success in college while the rest of us are simply trying to survive math class. Read on to discover five novelists who not only passed class while in college – they wrote the book on how to write a book, too!

1. Hannah Moskowitz – 'Break'

Amazon

Let's start with an overachiever. Author Hannah Moskowitz's debut novel 'Break' was written and published while she was still in high school! However, she didn't stop there. Once in college, she continued writing books, churning out such hits as 'Invincible Summer' and the Stonewall Honor Book 'Gone, Gone, Gone.' With relatable prose and heart-wrenching plots, Moskowitz proves that you don't have to be a certain age to tug at reader's heartstrings. 

2. Veronica Roth – 'Divergent'

Amazon

Author of the acclaimed and widely popular 'Divergent' series, Veronica Roth wrote the first book while on winter break – and sold the film rights to the series before graduation. Part of what she attributes to this incredible feat? Avoiding crazy parties. So if you, like her, prefer staying in to going out, let your judgmental roommate know that you'll see them when you've got a book deal!

3. Riley Redgate – 'Seven Ways We Lie'

Amazon

Author Riley Redgate didn't only write and publish her debut novel 'Seven Ways We Lie' while in college, but she did it while majoring in economics at Kenyon College. Truly a force to be reckoned with, Riley is a double threat with both numbers and words. And you thought you were good at multitasking!

4. Helen Oyeyemi – 'The Icarus Girl'

Amazon

You know a book is good when The New York Times calls it "a masterly first novel." Written when she was studying for exams at the age of eighteen, Helen Oyeyemi's unsettling novel 'The Icarus Girl' brings new meaning to the phrase "wise beyond her years."

5. Meg Wolitzer – 'Sleepwalking'

Amazon

Proof that writing a novel in college doesn't mean you're a one-hit wonder or destined to flame out young, Meg Wolitzer wrote her debut novel, 'Sleepwalking,' while at Brown University and then went on to pen several more award-winning books. Now with her much-anticipated ninth book coming in April, Wolitzer has only gotten better at her craft. 

If you're an aspiring author, don't be intimated by these novelists' tales of success. Instead, look at them as inspiration and realize that it is possible to realize your writing dreams while taking your GE's. Just don't forget to write your school essays too, okay?

Mia Martins - University of San Francisco

Mia Martins is a freshman and Media Studies major at University of San Francisco. You can find her reviewing TV shows under the handle @miaandmedia on Instagram.