Display phone
by Mia Martins

10 Apps to Download Before Freshman Year

By Mia Martins - Jun 17 2017

Let's be real, preparing for college is complicated. Between deciding which clothes to bring and which classes to choose, it may seem overwhelming. But one thing I guarantee you won't be giving a second thought to? Your phone. Since the vast majority of us keep our phones as close as our back pockets, it's only logical that our phones function as one of the best tools to prepare us for college. So to simplify freshman year, I've compiled a list of 10 apps to help make the year as easy as possible! 

1. The HW App

The HW App

College is the time to double down on your academics, and that's not going to be possible if you're constantly wondering when the deadlines are. This app allows you to enter tasks under a designated subject, assign it a due date and rank it by priority. Not only that, but you can also add notes about the task, set a reminder and even tag it as a specific type. Unlike some overly complicated homework apps, The HW App is easy to navigate and the color schemes of your dashboard and subjects are easily customizable.

2. Flat Tomato

Flat Tomato

Now that you know when your homework is due, it's time to start studying smarter. To be honest, most time management apps are pretty interchangeable. What matters most is that you get one that works for you. Whether it's one that utilizes the famed Pomodoro method (Flat Tomato) or one that prevents you from exiting the app to procrastinate on your phone (such as Forest), these apps will force you to have some self-control and get your work done, even if all you want to do is watch Netflix.

3. Seven

Seven

Odds are, all this studying means you're going to spend a lot of time sitting. And not everyone has the luxury of a schedule that allows for a barre class at the gym. This app coaches you through a seven-minute workout, or a longer one if you have the time for it. Perfect for when your Pomodoro app suggests a study break.

4. Lifesum

Lifesum

In college, no one's going to stop you from eating pizza for every meal, or remind you to eat if you passed up breakfast in favor of sleeping in. Instead of obsessing about the freshman 15, use a food-log app like Lifesum not to count calories, but to ensure you're feeding your body all the nutrients it needs to keep you going.

5. Pacifica

Pacifica

It's important to remember that your mental health is just as important as your physical health. With lessons created by psychologists, journaling exercises that identify thinking traps and supportive community forums, Pacifica truly has the potential to have a positive impact. Of course, the app is no substitute for reaching out to real people for help, but it's definitely a great supplement to treatment.

6. Headspace

Headspace

With the fast pace of modern life and the unique pressures of college, it's rare for us to take a moment just to breathe. Headspace, with guided sessions and cute graphics, provides a simple introduction to mediation.

7. Yelp

Yelp

Use Yelp to figure out which restaurant to go to when you finally get bored of cafeteria food and venture off campus, or to find a fun activity for a Friday night on the town with your friends. Whatever you use it for, it's about time you downloaded the app and got access to thousands of reviews that'll help you make an informed decision.

8. Find My Friends

Find My Friends

Personally, I'm a big subscriber to the "better safe than sorry" theory. It's important to watch out for each other in college, like when you want to make sure your friend actually made it back to her apartment after you studied together in the library until two a.m. Use this app to locate exactly where your friends are and never lose track of your BFFs!

9. Curiosity

Curiosity

This app is one of my all-time favorites. Each day you're presented with four new articles about incredibly interesting topics — from psychology to art to space. The articles are short and easy to comprehend, not to mention that they also include relevant videos at the end of the article. With countless subjects to explore, you'll never be lacking an icebreaker with Curiosity.

10. Delete: Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

Pixabay

OK, so this one is a bit of a cheat. But if we're talking apps, there are some you need to download and some you need to delete. If an app is sucking up too much of your time — or you find yourself automatically scrolling through Twitter even though you didn't even intend to open it — you should probably delete it, if only temporarily. College is all about growth, and now is a good time to learn how to live without being on Tumblr 24/7 — at least during finals.

While there are thousands of apps out there, it's up to you which ones you download. By giving these 10 apps a chance, you're on your way to making freshman year app-solutely fantastic!

Mia Martins - University of San Francisco

Mia Martins is a freshman and Media Studies major at University of San Francisco. You can find her reviewing TV shows under the handle @miaandmedia on Instagram.