Display audio book getty
by Mellissa Cordell

5 Reasons Why Audiobooks Are Actually Perfect For College Kids

By Mellissa Cordell - Dec 12 2015

Audiobooks are either hated or loved-there’s no in between. Usually if you like reading on your Kindle, then you don’t mind a casual stroll while listening to the soothing sounds of your favorite author reading a hearty book in your ear. I was not one of these people until a few weeks ago.

I was the person that strongly preferred a written copy of a book in my hands, and don’t get me wrong, I still do. But I have realized the benefits of technology when it comes to reading. Here are five nifty reasons why college kids should take the time to try this out!

1. It’s leisure reading on the go.

skinnymom

I’m too busy to pick a non-required reading anymore, which is sad. I felt guilty picking up a book when there were a thousand other things to do. The benefit of the audio book, I found, was that I could listen to the book when shopping, on the way to class, in the shower, or eating. It keeps my hands free to do whatever, and I can listen to the book and still focus on other things. With a book in front of you, you can only do so much, and you have to keep turning the pages, which can get annoying if you are eating.

2. It makes required readings feel less required.

thetubdoc

That’s right. That book you dread for class can turn into a great novel! Again, you can multi-task; although, for harder classes, you might want to pay attention to the detail, so it might be best to sit down and listen to the book. The major draw to this is that the reader’s voice in the audio book makes it sound more like a story, something the bored, monotone voice in your head would not do. This would ultimately make it easier to focus.

3. It provides a sense of not being alone, even when you are.

shelf-awareness

This sounds almost sad, but I bet you all out there hear where I’m coming from, right?! You don’t want to be alone, yet you don’t want to be near people. I mean, people are disgusting. Anyways, the talking in your ear is providing you with education or entertainment (hopefully both), so in a way, it is better than hanging out with friends. It also gives you some time to focus on just you while still feeling like you are being talked to.

4. It’s at your fingertips.

investopedia

As much as I love libraries, it can be a drag to put pants on, go out and check out a book. I have come to accept the laziness in myself. Going out to buy a book can be a hassle to, because again, it takes time to do that. It’s nice to do that occasionally, but realistically, we can’t make time. Narrowing down the options isn’t as easy, either. Audiobooks are right there in front of you, and you have thousands of choices. These choices aren’t too overwhelming, though, because the app does provide a way of finding books that you would enjoy and want to listen to based on your previous interests.

5. The first one you get is free!

commonsenseatheism

Free things are always awesome. It actually can’t hurt to try this, since it wouldn’t be wasting time or money. Just download the app. Currently I’m listening to “The Art of Pretending to Be a Grownup” by Grace Helbig, a comedic hit on YouTube. Join me! 

Lead Image Credit: Forbes

Mellissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Journalism and Political Science. In high school, she was vice president of the Envirothon team and Senior Class Secretary. She sings to her cacti whenever possible. Melissa is the editor in chief and founder of Fresh U University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!