by Melissa Cordell

Yara Shahidi Will Be Joining The Harvard Class of 2021

By Melissa Cordell - Jun 07 2017

Yara Shahidi, star of Black-ish, will be attending Harvard University next fall. 

She announced the news on an Instagram post, with a quote by James Baldwin: 

The paradox of education is precisely this – that as one begins to become conscious begins to examine the society in which he is being educated.

In addition to her congratulating her on her impressive admissions decision, Twitter pointed out that she and Malia Obama, who took a gap year after graduating, will be classmates and hopefully roommates.

Former First Lady, Michelle Obama, wrote one of Shahidi's recommendation letters for the university's application. Obama has also acted as one of Shahidi's mentors. 

Back in March, she told W Magazine that she plans to double major in African American studies and sociology.

Whatever she plans to do with her degree, we can't wait to see what this already woke teen will accomplish! 

Lead Image Credit: @yarashahidi via Twitter

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!