by Melissa Cordell

Victims of Sexual Assault and Harassment Take to Social Media with #MeToo

By Melissa Cordell - Oct 18 2017

Over the last few days, survivors of sexual assault and sexual harassment have posted a simple "Me, too" on Twitter and Facebook. This little phrase is filling up timelines to bring awareness to how many people are victims of unwanted sexual advances. It comes after Harvey Weinstein sexual assault allegations

Celebrities have joined in. 

Perhaps one of the most overwhelming is the student community, though. On college campuses, 11.2% of students have experienced rape or sexual assault. For undergraduate students alone, 23.1% of females and 5.4% of males have experienced rape or sexual assault. And these numbers can go higher dependent on your sexuality and race

While a lot of social media users have posted #MeToo, the trend has not been easy to join in on. Many fear getting fired from their jobs for being a liability or having to explain their unwanted sexual assault or rape to people they know. 

In response, men have started using the hashtag "How I will change." 

Lead Image Credit: Twitter

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!