by Melissa Cordell

3 Things That Happened In The Debate That College Students Should Care About

By Melissa Cordell - Oct 10 2016

If you didn't have time to watch the debate, have no fear! Fresh U has put together a list of all of the things discussed pertaining to you, the college student, during this election.

Trump's Sexist Comments

Friday night, October 7, a video was released of Republican candidate Donald Trump and Today Show host Billy Bush discussing women in a very degrading, sexual manner. It's no surprise that this topic kicked off the night.

When asked about the tapes, Trump responded: 

This was locker room talk. I’m not proud of it. I apologized to my family. I apologized to the American people. Certainly I’m not proud of it, but this is locker room talk. You know what, we have a world where you have ISIS chopping off heads, where you have men frankly drowning people in steel cages, where you have wars and horrible, horrible sites all over where you have so many bad things happening, this is like medieval times, we haven’t seen anything like this — the carnage all over the world — and they look and they see.

Trump dismissed what he called "locker room banter," then went on a tangent about ISIS. 

Why this affects you

Rape and sexual assault on campus has been in the news a lot lately, and to have a presidential candidate express language that feed into rape culture somewhat set the precedent of how he will act on such issues if he were to be elected into office.

Islamophobia

A town hall participant asked how the candidates would help combat Islamophobia. Trump answered:

"We have to be sure that Muslims come in and report when they see something going on, when they see hatred going on." 

Secretary Clinton said: 

"It's short-sighted and dangerous to be engaging in the kind of demagogic rhetoric that Donald has. We want Muslims to be on the side of our eyes and ears."

Why this affects you

Discrimination affects people of all ages, even college students. How a candidate views discrimination in our society is an indicator of how they will handle such cases of it in office. Discrimination against minorities, whether it be Muslims, blacks, etc., touches college campuses. 

Supreme Court

Secretary Clinton wants a Supreme Court that will stick to the stance on Roe v. Wade, while Trump wants one that aligns more with the line of thought of Justice Scalia. Scalia's track record can be viewed here

Why this affects you

Women's health is important to female and male college students for obvious reasons, but in this specific case, it can affect unwanted pregnancies. If your position on abortion doesn't align with the candidate elected president, it could cause trouble down the road for you, should you come across this situation.

An important note to make is that none of the participants of the town hall debate were college students, even though it was hosted at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri. Doesn't that seem a little unfair, since these issues do affect us directly, too? Let us know your thoughts by tweeting us @FreshUOnline on Twitter.

Lead Image Credit: MSNBC

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!