by Melissa Cordell

This High School Senior Picked Out the Funniest Grad Party Invites

By Melissa Cordell - May 03 2017

Julia Hakes, a senior at Millard South High School, created her graduation party invitations by herself, and her mom was a little mad. 

Hakes put unusual and hilarious photos of herself on the invites. She also promoted her YouTube channel and wrote on them, "Don't know how I did it lol!!!! 'bout to make the hood go crazy @ my party."

People commented on the tweet that now has over 1,200 likes, saying how much they liked the idea and even requesting an invite. 

Hakes acknowledged she expected the tweet would pick up traction once she posted it, but she thought it would only get 50 likes. She said, "When it got to 1,000, I was more confused than anything."

As for Hakes' mom, she has cooled off. 

"Initially, she was pretty upset," Hakes said. "But eventually she got over it and found the humor it in."

Her dad, on the other hand, has gotten a kick out of it.

"A lot of my friends wanted one sent to their house, and my dad actually thought it was hilarious," Hakes said. "He even wanted to take some to hand them out at work."

Lead Image Credit: JuliaHakes via Twitter

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!