Display screen shot 2017 06 04 at 11.38.49 am copy
by Melissa Cordell

This High School Senior Had a Bittersweet Lunch on the Last Day of School

By Melissa Cordell - Jun 04 2017

Meg Sullivan, a senior at Bellarmine Preparatory, always has a packed lunch waiting for her from her dad with peeled oranges. On the last day of high school, her dad included wikiHow instructions for peeling an orange and a note that said, "It's time baby girl."

"When I saw the oranges, I first noticed it was unusual that they weren't peeled because my dad always peels them," Sullivan said via Twitter DMs. "I then noticed the note, and immediately laughed. I was like 'Oh Tom, you jokester.' As I stared at the letter more, I realized that I really won't have any more packed lunches anymore, and no more pre-peeled oranges. It hit me in that moment that high school/childhood was coming to an end."

When she got home later that day, she said "he asked if I thought it was funny then jokingly asked if I had trouble peeling the oranges on my own."

Her tweet has been retweeted more than 100,000 times and has more than 490,000 likes. 

Sullivan posted it because she "wanted to share with my friends how cute my dad is, because they all already love him. When it blew up, my sister and I were betting on whether or not it would get 100 RTs."

People on Twitter found the act adorable. 

WikiHow even responded. 

Sullivan said, "My dad is the best and is always going above and beyond to show his love."

Lead Image Credit: @megsullivan07 via Twitter

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!