by Melissa Cordell

This High School Junior Took Her Special Needs Brother to Prom

By Melissa Cordell - May 02 2017

Hannah Pike, a junior in high school, took her 11-year-old special needs brother to prom after her date ditched her at the last minute. 

When Pike's date left her date-less the Friday before prom, her brother swooped in. Although he wasn't allowed to attend the formal prom event, he participated in the typical prom activities, including photography and dinner. 

Pike's tweet has over 600 likes. Everyone on Twitter who commented has been positive and wishing her and her brother well. 

Her brother loved the Twitter attention. She said through Twitter DMs: "With his condition, special needs, he didn't [quite] understand ... much of what was going on and why I was upset at first, but he loves to be the center of attention, and he loves to see me happy. He was so excited to take pictures and dress up with me."

As for Pike, she said, "My prom was great!"

For her senior prom, Pike hopes to take her brother formally to the prom. 

Lead Image Credit: Hannah_Blaine via Twitter

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!