Display screen shot 2017 05 13 at 2.05.12 pm copy
by Melissa Cordell

This College Freshman Used a Hanger to Eat Her Meal

By Melissa Cordell - May 13 2017

Samantha Wert, a freshman at Oklahoma State University, had already taken home her spoons and forks for the year, but she wanted to eat her pasta and yogurt. No one on her floor had any eating utensils either, so she had the idea to break a hanger to eat with it. 

"I thought about using my hands, but I had pasta salad and yogurt and I love myself too much to do that," Wert told Fresh U via Twitter direct message.

She said the hanger was the only potential utensil she could find.

"I looked around my room and found the only thing I could hold and scoop with," she said. "I was a desperate and hungry college student."

The Tweet has been retweeted more than 10,000 times and has more than 46,000 likes. It also inspired many people to comment underneath the Tweet about the strange things they have used to eat. 

Wert said she could have gone to the dining hall to get a fork and spoon, but on the day it happened, it was raining outside. 

"So many people were telling me to eat it with my hands," she said. "And I was like you really want me to eat yogurt with my hands?"

This just goes to show how innovative college students can be when riding the struggle bus.

Lead Image Credit: Samiwert via Twitter

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!