Display tattoouse
by Melissa Cordell

8 Things College Kids With Tattoos Are Tired of Hearing

By Melissa Cordell - Feb 01 2016

I thought about my tattoo a long time. As in two years, but that is a long time to me. I was absolutely sure I wanted it before I got it, because I do tire of things easily. While my family and friends were cool with my choice for the most part, I do feel that a lot of college kids get these comments from even the people closest to them:

1. "Are you absolutely sure that's what you wanted?"

idiva

Noooooo, I just got this because I know I will hate looking at it. Of course I like it! 

2. "Don't you think you should have spent more time thinking about what you wanted?"

pinterest

No. When I'm certain of something, I'm certain of it. And I've had friends that got their tattoos spontaneously and still love their tattoo to this day. 

3. "You know that stays on your body forever, right?"

photos-albums

I honestly hate this one, because it's a stupid question to ask COLLEGE kids. Of course we know that. We're not dumb. We are aware of what happens when you do something big like this. 

4. "Make sure it means something."

popsugar

Mine actually does mean something - out of all creation comes destruction, and out of all destruction comes creation. But your tattoo doesn't have to mean anything. It can just be for funsies. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you like it. 

5. "Maybe you shouldn't put that on your Instagram or Facebook.."

dreams-have-wings

Unless it's vulgarity, which can be excused in certain cases, show it off if you want to! It's like getting a new pair of boots and wanting to show them off, except this is more personal and shows off more of who you are. Tattoos aren't such a taboo anymore, and we shouldn't treat them like they are. 

6. "Was it a good idea to get matching ones with 'such-and-such'?"

tattoosforyou

Any person that has gotten a tattoo with their best friend or significant other has already thought about the possible outcomes in the future with that person. They already know that it will most likely feel awkward if they break up or aren't friends anymore. But they have decided that that person means enough in that moment and have enough hope that they will continue to mean that much. 

7. "What does THAT mean????"

spritewars

This sounds very rude and implies that we got something stupid tattooed on our body. There is a nice way to ask this--like, "That looks pretty neat. Does it have any meaning to you, or did you just like the design?" Be courteous. Art is hard enough to show off, because of the negative opinions people tend to have towards things they don't understand. 

8. "You're not going to go tattoo crazy now, are you?"

tattooideas247

I'll admit it, getting tattoos is addictive. But there's nothing wrong with wanting more, or a whole sleeve even. Let's get past the idea that tattoos are a taboo. 

Don't be afraid of what you have put on your body. If you like it and had enough balls to actually get it, then more power to you! However, I do understand that some people like to cover their tattoo up. In that case, you can visit my previous article in this series for help on that! In the end, just do what makes you happy and feel good. 

Lead Image Credit: Melissa Cordell

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!