by Melissa Cordell

There’s Now A Poetry Book for All Your Favorite Vines, But Not Everyone Is Happy About It

By Melissa Cordell - Nov 12 2017

Amazon is selling a parody of "Milk and Honey," titled "Milk and Vine" written by Adam Gasiewski and Emily Beck, two college students at Temple University.  

One of the first poems in the book is "i [sic] thought you were bae turns out you're just fam."

It's currently selling at $4.74 for a paperback and $.99 for the Kindle version. The book is meant to "beautifully portray the best vines of all time in this modern poetic format."

At first, people thought this was hilarious, immediately claiming that they must have this book. 

One Twitter user recorded himself reciting it similar to how slam poets do. 

This quickly turned around, though, as people began to accuse the authors of capitalizing off of someone else's style and brand of work. 

It's not just the steal from Rupi Kaur, either. Many of these vines feature people of color, and they were not asked for consent to use their Vine creations in the book or given credit. 

Perhaps the authors thought they could get away with this by tweaking words to not be the exact phrase Vine users used, like in this viral Vine where he said "I could've dropped my croissant" and the authors wrote "you almost made me drop my croissant."

Others are claiming it cannot even be considered a parody since the work isn't original. 

Some are calling for Amazon to remove the work from sales. 

Beck released a statement on Twitter saying that the couple had met with lawyers and had confirmed their book was not copyright infringement. She also said she would be willing to give credit to the Vine creators, but only if they reach out. Beck claimed it would be "difficult" for her to reach out to them herself.

Lead Image Credit: Amazon

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!