Display 5439999805 4280c8bcef o
by Melissa Cordell

The President Elect Is Donald Trump

By Melissa Cordell - Nov 09 2016

President Elect Donald Trump began his race to the White House in mid-June of 2015, and it’s been a crazy journey since.

The 45th President Elect cinched the Republican nomination a year later against hopefuls like Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and Ben Carson. He and Democratic presidential candidate, Secretary Hillary Clinton, locked eyes on each other and made each other prime targets.

Secretary Clinton campaigned hard, declaring Mr. Trump’s race to be full of hate and discrimination, making him an unfit candidate for the seat of presidency. Still, his popularity grew and grew, especially among conservatives and in the wake of new announcements from the FBI pertaining to Secretary Clinton’s email scandal.

Among his platform, one of the most notable and memorable promises he made was to "build a wall" on the border between the United States and Mexico, a deterrent to immigration to the United States. He also called for a Muslim ban and scoffed at the Black Lives Matter Movement. With his main slogan, “Make America Great Again,” he swooned Americans to his turf.

Mr. Trump’s trickle-down economics, similar to President Reagan’s, and his lack of an email scandal seemed to really push him over the edge with the election against Secretary Clinton. He was able to capture key swing states such as North Carolina and Florida.

Mr. Trump’s political background is close to nonexistent, other than the time in 1999 in which he considered running for president. Most of his background is in business, a clear fact with his ownership of Trump Towers and other affairs. He lacked support from any of the living former presidents, but he had money.

Secretary Clinton was able to win to popular vote, but Mr. Trump pulled through with 276 electoral college votes, the real deciding factor in the presidency. He will be working with an all Republican Congress. 

So what’s next for Mr. Trump? In his victory speech last night, Trump remarked:

"Now it's time for America to bind the wounds of division - have to get together. To all Republicans and Democrats and Independents across the nation, I say it is time for us to come together as one united people."

Stay tuned on Fresh U for coverage of the presidential transition period and what is next for the American White House as well as college students' reactions to the absolutely historic 2016 presidential election.

Lead Image Credit: Gage Skidmore via Flickr Creative Commons

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!