by Melissa Cordell

The 6 Issues Discussed in the Final Presidential Debate And How They Affect You

By Melissa Cordell - Oct 20 2016

Didn't have time to watch the full debate? We have the basics that you, the college student, cares about. Here are the issues without any fluff.

1. Supreme Court

Republican presidential candidate Mr. Trump will appoint pro-life, conservative-bend, Second Amendment justices. 

Democratic presidential candidate, Secretary Clinton wishes to stick with justices along the liberal line of thought, of course, which is how President Obama has appointed them thus far.

Why this matters to you: Keep reading.

2. Second Amendment

Secretary Clinton said, "I support the Second Amendment. I understand and respect the right of gun ownership." She calls for comprehensive background checks and closing all loopholes to obtain guns, which she plans will "not [be] in any conflicting with the Second Amendment." To her, this is "common sense regulation."

Mr. Trump opposes any limits on obtaining guns and supports the national right to carry law. He said, "I am a very strong supporter of the Second Amendment" and that he was very honored to have the NRA supporting him.

Why this matters to you: Gun violence is a prevalent issue on educational campuses, so college students should form opinions on the Second Amendment and gun regulations.

3. Abortion

Mr. Trump is pro-life and was asked if he would like to see the courts overturn Roe v. Wade. He didn't directly answer if that's what he "wanted," but he did say he would expect to see that happen if he appointed the justices he wants.

Secretary Clinton said, "So many states are putting very stringent regulations," and "I will defend Roe v. Wade."

She wants the life and health of mother taken into account and says this on government intervention: "I do not think the us government should be stepping in and making those most personal of decisions."

Mr. Trump responded to this saying that this allows for "rip[ping] the baby out of the womb of the mother in the ninth month of the final day" and that is "not okay with me."

Secretary Clinton responded, "That's not what happens in these cases" and said Mr. Trump was using scare tactics on this issue.

Why this matters to you: If you are a woman, this decision could pop up at any time in your sexually-active life. If you a man with a woman facing this decision, you're affected by what said woman is or is not able to decide. 

4. Education

While this was not a direct topic, Secretary Clinton did cover this in her economic plan, saying she would implement real apprenticeships, make college debt-free and work with Senator Bernie Sanders. 

Clinton was the only one to directly address education in her economic plan.

Why this matters to you: Education is what you're getting right now, obviously. This affects life after college, as well. It affects your job opportunities, what you can afford with a debt looming over your head and how prepared you are for your career.

5. Women

Mr. Trump said this on the topic of the women that came out about sexual assault: "I think they want fame, or either her campaign did it. And I think her campaign did it." He went on further to say everything on the subject were lies and fiction.

Secretary Clinton slammed him with quotes from what he said about women being unattractive "disgusting" and belittling women. She said, "He goes after their dignity and self-worth."

Mr. Trump responded, "Nobody has more respect for women than I do."

Why this matters to you: Rape culture doesn't just affect women; it affects men, too, and how sexual assault against them is handled in society and institutions. Rape culture is incredibly predominate on college campuses, and having someone in power that just feeds into that is not a way to ensure institutions properly handle this problem.

6. The Election Being "Rigged"

Mr. Trump thinks so. He refused to say that he would accept the election results. 

Clinton said it was "disgraceful" to have a nominee of one of the two major parties to say that.

Why this matters to you: You have the ability to cast a vote in this election. Your voice matters. You shouldn't let anyone tells you it doesn't. 

Now that the third and final Presidential Debate is over, it is now up to you to cast your ballot in voting for the next president of the United States of America. Find out your state's early voting dates here and, if you're not early voting, make sure to get to the polls on November 8th! 

Lead Image Credit: NBC News

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!