by Melissa Cordell

Meet The Student Who Saved Chicken Tenders at Syracuse University

By Melissa Cordell - Sep 26 2017

Syracuse University students were shocked when they entered Ernie Davis the other week and didn't find chicken tenders on their sacred Tender Thursday. Two weeks ago, however, chicken tenders were served on Thursday as usual. Ben McLaughlin, a sophomore at Syracuse majoring in Television, Radio and Film, is to thank. 

McLaughlin sent an email to Stephen Brandt, the manager of Ernie Davis Dining Hall, about the matter.

"I represent a group of students here at Syracuse whoms'ted [sic] suffered a loss recently. A loss of tenders on Thursday. I have been at school for now three weeks and on every Thursday walk into Ernie dining hall hopeful and ready for tenders. What do I find? No tenders. Not a single tender. No BBQ sauce or honey mustard. Nothing. I remember the good ol' days when I would walk into the dining hall and have my heart lifted by the scent of fried chicken. I have none of the joy now. I miss my tender embrace of tenders.

It is rumored that Tender Thursday is gone for good, and let me tell you sir that this is a tragedy. No, not a tragedy, an attack. An attack equivalent to the Boston Massacre. We students are the common Bostonians. You are the Red Coats. I'm disgusted. I feel blindsided, vulnerable, confused, and yes... Hungry. 

I don't blame you sir, but I want names. I want the names of the individuals who stripped my rights as a free American! I love this country, sir, I do. And I love tenders as well. If you do too then you will join me and the thousands of students ready to fight this... this anarchy! Say it with me! BRING BACK THE TENDERS! BRING BACK THE TENDERS! CAN YOU HEAR THE CRIES OF THE PEOPLE!? YES! BRING BACK THE TENDERS! BRING BACK THE FREEDOM!!!!!"

Brandt responded back with a promise to bring back chicken tenders. 

Chicken tenders are now back in the dining hall, but not in the traditional sense. To accommodate students and their class schedules, chicken tenders will be served alternating Fridays and Thursdays every other week. 

Jessica Abramson, a sophomore majoring in political science, is grateful to have back Tender Thursday, even though it might not be in its traditional form. 

"I am excited they are back, I was confused as to where they had been," she said. "I wouldn't say there are an essential part of the dining hall experience but definitely something I look forward to every week!"

Jo-Ann Chan, a sophomore majoring in industrial and interactional design, feels the same. 

"It was great; I really missed the chicken tenders," she said. "Honestly I was really looking forward to eating some but they had not served it until few days ago. I ate like seven of them."

McLaughlin said he has received many thanks from peers for his "great services to the American people." 

"I did feel that passionate," he said. "I really feel as though I represent all the students who didn't feel like they could stand up and fight the system. I love tenders, and I love my school. In the world we live in, we have enough division. Tenders bring people together. That's what we need."

Lead Image Credit: qtle via Flickr Creative Commons

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!