by Melissa Cordell

This Graduate Strutted Across Stage to Defy His Homophobic Family

By Melissa Cordell - Jun 18 2017

Willie Morris, known on Twitter as Lars, invited his family to his graduation. He strutted across the stage in red high heels in possibly the sassiest graduation walk ever. 

The catch: he's gay, and his family is homophobic. 

"I wanted to walk in those six inch heels either way, because I'm known at my school for doing things like that," Morris said. "But I just decided to invite my cousins & uncle, the ones who are mainly homophobic, just so they could see. It wasn’t exactly supposed to be light hearted. It was kind of just a big payback to them."

Though his family was mad, Twitter was mostly supportive. The Tweet has been retweeted more than 44,000 times and liked more than 130,000 times.  

Morris has always been out in his homophobic household. "I never had to say anything. Although I've been getting bad things said about me ever since I was little because of it," Morris said. "My whole family has always known, and has always told me it was wrong. But I am very strong and have always held to my own opinions, so what I did in front of them on that stage is basically a representation of how it's always been."

This goes to show all you need to do is be confident in yourself, be true to yourself and strut.

Editor's note: Morris' school has been omitted to protect his identity. 

Lead Image Credit: mixedie via Instagram

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!