Display 8029803962 ef98d4934b o
by Melissa Cordell

Getting Out The Vote On Campus

By Melissa Cordell - Sep 15 2016
With less than sixty days until election day, voter registration is becoming more and more pressed and prominent on campus. Political parties on campus and in the county that you now currently reside are throwing organizers and volunteers onto the ground to get college students registered to vote at their current address. 

The people who talk to you about registering to vote are people that genuinely care about getting you registered. They are not getting paid to do this. These are either fellows (interns) that enjoy being actively involved in politics, or people from the community, young and old, that volunteer their time to ensure that everyone knows the specifics and is well-informed on how to cast their vote this election for president. 

And while you all have activities to attend to and class to be on time for, if you are an unregistered student, you should take the two minutes it takes to fill out the short registration form. 

This will likely be your first major election ever, unless you voted in the primary. Casting a vote and picking a candidate is important, because it will affect you for the next four years, maybe even eight if they are re-elected. The plans these presidential candidates have don't just apply to "grown ups" in the "real world." The issues they discuss, such as college funding, will directly affect you.  

It's easy to brush it off, saying you will fill it out later, you'll request an absentee ballot, or you'll just go back home to vote. But when election day approaches, things may change. Why not just take the few minutes to make your life a bit easier? Voting on campus is a much easier effort than any of the latter. 

This is one of the most important elections of our lifetime. We could elect our first female president, making history again after electing our first black president eight years ago. Don't miss your chance to have your voice heard. This is history in the making.

If you want to actually get involved in the campaign work, become a fellow, and/or help register voters for this election, you can check out the Democratic, Republican or Libertarian profiles!

Lead Image Credit: Lynn University via Flickr Creative Commons

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!