Display 2212478677 272a6d52a4 o
by Melissa Cordell

Getting Involved on Campus: College Democrats

By Melissa Cordell - Sep 09 2016

College kids are known widely for being liberal, and while many criticize us for that, there's no denying the totally awesome programs at our universities for those that lean left. 

College Democrats has a nifty way to search for a chapter at the college you attend and provides you with the link to get involved immediately. 

While the booths at your school are sure to give you enough information on what it means to be a college democrat, we can provide you with a bit of history. College Democrats came to be in 1932, due mostly by a push to elect Franklin D. Roosevelt, who even delivered speeches by radio to the Young Democratic Clubs of America.

Then President Lyndon B. Johnson started College Students Registration Week, a week to help get college students registered to vote, because even like now, it can be a hassle when going back and forth between addresses. He wanted college students to get to the polls like never before, thus prompting democrats in college to pursue registering their peers to vote like never before, a mission they still strive for today. 

We all know that throughout college there are many amazing opportunities to make connections, hear inspiring people speak, and get involved in your new community, and joining a democratic club at your school can provide just that. Many democratic clubs on campuses have given students the opportunity to meet people like Vice Presidential Nominee Tim Kaine.

Though college democrats do want to promote their ideals and get more people behind them, they mostly want people to be more politically active in their community. Some campuses even have their democratic activities broken up even more, for example, by having special clubs for college democrats that identify as female. 

College democrats speak on a variety of issues, and won't just stay relevant during election season. Well after that, you can still find them supporting causes that need voices. 

If politics are your thing, or you want it to be your thing in college, definitely put yourself out there and join one your fellow college democrats. Or college republicans

Lead Image Credit: Tara Faircloth via Flickr Creative Commons

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!