by Melissa Cordell

A High School Won't Allow This Junior to Take Her Girlfriend to Prom

By Melissa Cordell - Apr 01 2017

Junior Paula Goodgame was told she couldn't bring her girlfriend to her high school's prom, a week before the big day. 

St. Petersburg Catholic High School told Goodgame in an email: 

Paula Goodgame

Goodgame inquired with the school about why same sex dates were not allowed, and "they simply said that they wanted to keep traditions and stick to their original rules. It seems silly to me, because there's a rule that you can't bring someone over 20 to prom, and someone is bringing their 22 year old boyfriend to the dance."

Her girlfriend, Anjali Persad, is a senior at Canterbury. 

Persad was "upset and saddened" when she was told the news. Goodgame said: "We were on the phone when I told her, and her voice kind of lowered, and she asked 'well, now what are we supposed to do?' It broke my heart a little, because I didn't know what to say."

When asked if this has been a problem at the school before, she said: "I never knew of it to be a problem before this, but then again, I did just switch into the school. Friends of other Catholic schools were allowed to go with friends of the same gender, so I thought, 'well, why can't I?'"

Goodgame posted what her school said on Twitter. 

Most people responded by supporting the couple. 

The high school hasn't responded to backlash on Twitter publicly, but administrators told her they were upset about the Tweet and would talk to her more about it on Monday. 

Though Goodgame is upset about the school's policy, she insists on the two of them having "a great time regardless. If we aren't allowed to go to prom, the both of us are going to get dressed up and go to a nice dinner or Orlando or something."

On a happier note, Goodgame said that she and Persad are being crowned prom queens at Persad's high school tonight.  

"It's exciting because it's something we'd never expect, and it's something we'd tell our family and friends for years to come.  But it's just shockingly nice to have the support from almost everyone around me. Like we really do appreciate everything."

Lead Image Credit: Twitter via paula_goodgame

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!