by Melissa Cordell

A Florida High School Angers Students and Twitter With Absurd Prom Dress Code

By Melissa Cordell - Mar 29 2017

Monday morning when Stanton College Preparatory's students arrived for class, they were surprised to see flyers depicting what female students should and shouldn't wear to the prom. 

A non-teacher faculty member put the flyers up.

While many were outraged of a sudden change a week before prom when most girls had already purchased their dresses, others were angered about the "good girl" term that can come off as derogatory. 

A day after the incident, students united wearing purple and white, with a female sign taped on their shirts, and using the hashtag #scpgoodgirl to speak back against the flyers. 

Lily Willingham, a senior at the high school, said that prom dress code has never been an issue before. "It has never been a thing; that's why there was also so much outrage. The fact that it was told to us a week before prom with students having never had any knowledge of a dress code."

She went on to say that the issue was also about the "sexist nature of enforcing dress code on women, not men due to over sexualization of the female body."

Willingham said, "This is an issue bigger than my school. This is something happening at schools all over the nation, and the issue at hand needs to be more talked about."

SCP took down the flyers, apologized and explained to the students that there will be no dress code for prom after a student spoke with administrators and the school started receiving emails and backlash on Twitter. 

Willingham was happy with her school, saying, "I'm really proud of the way my school reacted to the situation and how we all united for a cause, which caused an immediate apology from the school, which was amazing." She also said she knows the school "meant no harm."

Lead Image Credit: Twitter via Lily Willingham

Melissa Cordell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Melissa Cordell is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Political Science and Peace, War & Defense, with a Women's Studies minor. She loves working on campaigns, activism and writing. Follow her on Instagram @meldelissacor and Twitter @MM_Cordell!