Display nina strehl 140734
by Melanie Haid

6 Ways to Be the Best Dorm Neighbor

By Melanie Haid - Oct 17 2017

If you live on campus, you likely have a neighbor or two. This is great until you're living out your college experience a little too loudly, and you come back from class to find a passive-aggressive noise complaint taped to your door.

It's all fun and games until it isn't anymore, and you remember that you're surrounded by other people who may have big tests to study for or just value their peace and quiet. Either way, you have to learn to respect those around you. Here are six ways you can be a better neighbor to those around you while creating better habits for yourself. 

1. Keep your door closed.

You may think that keeping your door open is more inviting for people who walk by, but when your neighbors are trying to study, any noise you make is more amplified than usual. Leaving your door open means that you have one less sound barrier between you and your neighbors. Every time you sneeze or accidentally drop your textbook, it's going to be loud.

2. Respect quiet hours.

Even though you may not have an 8 a.m. class tomorrow, the people next to you might — or they just wanted to go to sleep before 2 a.m. tonight. Either way, quiet hours are in place for a reason, which means that you should try to keep the noise down. Even if you're a total night owl, other people may not be, and it's important that you don't make other people uncomfortable. Imagine how you would feel if the people next door were being so loud that you couldn't sleep.

3. Take control when you have people over.

Rules are important and need to be enforced, so consider discussing rules for guests in your dorm with your roommate(s). It's important for people in your dorm to know how they should behave and how loud they can be especially in regards to quiet hours. Come up with a few rules and make life easier for your roommate(s) and your neighbors. 

4. Don't overstuff your room with people.

College dorms are only so big, and stuffing your room with fifteen people can be extremely problematic. Let's face it, when someone who wants to get their point across isn't being heard, it becomes a yelling match of "Listen to me" and "Listen to me, I'm louder!" It's very frustrating and chaotic and can cause a lot of issues. Consider taking it somewhere else and leave those around you in peace.

5. Clean up after yourself in the bathroom.

If you have communal bathrooms on your floor, you'll understand the frustration with people who leave their things behind or keep the bathroom a mess. Everyone has to use them — there's no avoiding it — so don't be known as the person who always leaves toothpaste in the sink or leaves the seat up. It's not just your bathroom, it's everyone's bathroom; keep it as clean as possible.

6. Respect the wall.

There's only a thin layer of plaster between you and your neighbor(s). You should recognize that and don't abuse it. Throwing things at the wall or banging on it can really disrupt those next to you. It's the only barrier you have in between, so you need to make sure that the wall isn't affecting how your neighbors regard you. 

At the end of the day, everyone wants to get their sleep and live in their space peacefully. The more you respect the people around you, the more likely they are to respect you. Make your dorm experience a good one, and make it pleasant for your neighbors too.

Melanie Haid - Hofstra University

Melanie Haid is a freshman at Hofstra University and is on track to getting her Masters in Journalism with a minor in German. She writes for FreshU, Her Campus, OneClass and is a Staff Writer for the News and Opinion-Editorial sections of the Hofstra Chronicle. She is also a Copy-Editor for the Hofstra English Society's literary magazine, Font, and has been involved in Relay for Life for 7 years.