Display college
by Meghana Didugu

8 Ways To Use Your Skills to Earn Money For College

By Meghana Didugu - Jul 12 2017

Getting a job right after high school may sound cool, but it can't necessarily guarantee a better future for you. A college degree can provide you with more career opportunities, make your job stable, give you an upper hand with your fellow competitors and also improve the skills you have. Going to college can help you realize your ambitions and also learn about life in general. It can teach us the best lessons every day through experience. 

Some students consider taking a gap year or not enrolling in college due to various reasons. But on the other side of the coin, there are students who wish to earn a degree but cannot because they can't afford it. That is true because we only see the tuition increase when it should rather be made affordable. So, here are eight ways in which you can earn money for college. 

1. Scholarships/grants.

Pixabay

Applying for a scholarship or a grant can not only reduce the burden of paying a lot for tuition but also gives you an opportunity to prove your worth. Thousands of scholarships such as the Fulbright Scholarships, Harry S. Truman Scholarships and National Merit Scholarships benefit you in a major way. You can also apply for the financial aid provided by your college. Have a look at the process and requirements to apply for the one you think suits you well. 

2. Selling crafts.

Pixabay

If you're good at crafts, then what are you waiting for? Grab your tools, make something creative and sell it! If you know how to knit, then you can make beanies and scarfs for Christmas or if you're good with beads and stones, you could help people glam up with your ideas for accessories. These crafts can be sold at your school or in your neighborhood. By doing this you can save up a decent amount of money and also hone your skills. 

3. Do odd jobs or work part-time.

Pixabay

This is one thing almost every high school senior does. Take up a part-time job at your local cafe or restaurant and you can surely earn some good cash. You can also earn by helping out someone to mow their lawn, clean their pool or babysit. By doing these kinds of jobs, you get to develop a sense of responsibility, time management and also improve the way you interact with people. 

4. Have a yard sale.

Pixabay

As the old adage states, "One man's trash is another man's treasure." You can get rid of your old things such as toys, electronics and furniture by putting up a yard sale. As we know, toys and baby gear are made of plastic, which is harmful to the environment, and can be reused by others through this. You also get to interact with people in your locality and make new friends! 

5. Tutoring

Pixabay

Some students in lower grades might need someone's help in math, English or any other subject. You can help them out by tutoring for a fixed price. I agree with the statement, "Happy is the person who comes to understand something and then gets to explain it," by Marshall S. Cohen. Tutoring someone helps us not only to develop our own sense of understanding in that subject, but also to build confidence.

6. Programming

Pixabay

Are you good at programming languages? Various companies look for outsourcing where students are preferred for an online part-time job. There are numerous freelancing positions online and also at Upwork, where you can find diverse job openings. By doing this, you get a decent paycheck and experience that you can add to your CV.

7. Writing jobs.

Pixabay

There are a number of popular websites on the internet which help you get paid for writing. You can write for the websites you follow regularly or even take up technical writing if you're extremely good at it. Writing for Fresh U also provides you with some paid opportunities. You can write and expand your knowledge on things that you like (travel, education, food, fashion, etc.) and share it with others.

8. Become a YouTuber.

Pixabay

I'm sure you know that you get paid for getting a certain number of views for your videos on YouTube. If you have a great voice or good ideas for some art tutorials like the channel Drawing & Painting — The Virtual Instructor or anything else, then why keep them to yourself? YouTube is one of the most preferred social media platforms where we witness careers beginning. Almost all famous YouTubers live with what they earn from their videos. Who knows, it may turn out to be good. 

College can be the beginning of a lot of things in your life. You may be thinking that the CEOs of various companies were dropouts. But hey, they had a plan and they made sure that their goals were achieved accordingly. 

Hopefully, these ways to earn for college will help you out. 

Meghana Didugu - Indian Institute of Art and Design

Meghana Didugu - Indian Institute of Art and Design, Class of 2021.