Display cva4qckxyaa2235
by Meghan Field

Penn State is at it Again: Nittanyville, Riots in the Street and A Big Win

By Meghan Field - Oct 26 2016

It was a great week for Penn State students and fans alike. 

Starting at 8 a.m. on Monday, October 17th, many student organizations began Nittanyville, which is a week long campout. There can be up to 10 students per tent right outside of Beaver Stadium to be guaranteed amazing seats within the first five rows of the stadium in the student section. 

Students have various shifts and there needs to be at least one person per tent at all times in case there is a tent check. Everything had to be packed up by 8 a.m. on Saturday for the game started at 8 PM that night. 

There were various events going on at Nittanyville, including an appearance from Penn State football coach James Franklin.

73 tents were lined up outside of Beaver Stadium for Nittanyville. Students camped out in the freezing cold. Photo Credit: Penn State Football
Tapestry Dance Company is one of the many organizations that have camped out all week to get great seats. They ended up getting third row right behind the field goal post. Photo Credit: Candace McPhillips

1
Nittanyville participants line up along the entrance of Gate A, which is the student section. Once the students were given the OK, they ran into the stadium collecting the white out poms poms and proceeded to their seats. Photo Credit: Jessica Sallurday
2
Here was the calm before the storm. Photo Credit: Meghan Field

Once the students were able to get in the stadium at 6 p.m., excitement was at an all-time high. 

Some students were ecstatic because the well known, savory, delicious chicken baskets that are a staple of Penn State football games were $2 off. Some students were happy because there were six students dressed up in dinosaur suits as well as some other noteworthy attire. Some students were fired up just because Penn State had a shot at beating the second-ranked collegiate team. Whatever the students' reasons for happiness, the whole student body was brought together because of this epic game.

Students went all out for this huge game. Six students wore dinosaur costumes. Photo Credit: Alex Yuan

On Saturday, October 22, a whopping 107,280 spectators filled Penn State University's Beaver Stadium to the brim in their most popular game of the season against Ohio State University.

Student Perspectives

Kaitlyn Aguiles, a freshman, hadn't attended a football game yet this year:

"The experience was awesome since it was my first game and we got to rush the field which was pretty cool. Being a freshman, it was a great start to my first semester at Penn State," said Aguiles.

On the other hand, Marianne Black, also a freshman, has been to every football game so far this year:

"This game was so different than the other games. I felt a sense of community between the students like never before. It was definitely worthwhile to stay to the end of the game to witness all of the craziness going on."

Another student who faithfully attends games is freshman Kush Kumar:

"Wow. Just wow. I'm extremely grateful I got to experience this game. Being the underdogs made the students that much more supportive, in my opinion. We are. . .one big family, and I'm never going to regret going to this university."

I, myself, am very happy that I went to this once in a lifetime game. I was planning on leaving after the third quarter since Penn State was losing so much, but I am beyond happy that my friends talked me out of it. I most likely would have never been able to have this much pride in my university at any other football game.

The Nittany Lions were anticipated to lose by a colossal 20 points. 

The first three quarters weren't looking too hopeful for Penn State. In the first quarter, Ohio and Penn State were in the same boat with a score of 0-0. 

In the second quarter, Ohio State scored 12 points and Penn State scored seven. By the end of the third quarter, it wasn't looking too good for Penn State as Ohio State was beating them 21-7. 

Then in the fourth quarter, Penn State got it together and managed to score 17 points, making the final score Penn State 24, Ohio State 21. The worst part about this is that this was the Buckeye's first loss this season, which was a huge upset to the Ohio State fans.

The Nittany Lion and referee had a dance off to the song "Juju On That Beat." The crowd went crazy since that was not expected. Photo Credit: Meghan Field
Students bundled up for this freezing game. But it was so worth it. Photo Credit: Jessica Bren

On the other hand, some students did not bundle up. Those are some die hard fans right here. Photo Credit: Penn State Football

The fun didn't end after this tremendous victory. 

Since Penn State is now ranked 24th in their division and beat a top five team (Ohio State is ranked second) for the first time in over 17 years, everyone got excited.

Spectators got excited and stormed the field, which was a once in a lifetime experience for Penn State students. 

Students immediately swarmed onto the field after this unexpected win. Photo Credit: Onward State

Getting to go on the field was a perfect opportunity for a quick selfie for students. They may never get an opportunity to take a picture like that ever again. Photo Credit: Jess Bren

As the game came to a close, all that could be seen was a sea of white on the field. Photo Credit: Alex Yuan

After the field cleared out, many students rushed downtown and started rallying. The streets were flooded for hours and cars could not get through. The police knew they needed to do something, so they supposedly gassed and pepper sprayed students, even if they were simply heading back to their apartments. The police were even riding horses to try to end the rally.

Some students were crazier than others, as one was mattress surfing in the crowd while others tried to fight the police. Some even tore down street signs and sang Penn State chants for all to hear. There was even a text alert sent out that stated:

"Avoid downtown State College. Crowd is an unlawful disturbance. Leave the area or be subject to arrest."
Police attempting to clear downtown State College. The rally began immediately after Penn State's huge win with a lot of signs being torn down. Photo Credit: Alex Yuan

A student matress surfing in downtown State College after Penn State's victory. Photo Credit: Onward State

2
The police meant business. They rode horses around downtown State College to clear the streets. Photo Credit: Alex Yuan

All in all, this was a unique experience for all of the students who were able to experience it. Who knows what will bring the Penn State student body together next. (First clowns, now an amazing unexpected win.) Only time will tell.

This game is certainly one for the books and one that will not soon be forgotten.

Lead Image Credit: Penn State Football

Meghan Field - Pennsylvania State University

Meghan is a sophomore at Penn State - University Park. She's from Hershey, PA. She is going to major in Biobehavioral Health and Psychology with a minor in Global Health. She has been dancing her whole life and has always had an interest in writing and anything science related. Instagram is @meghanfield.