by Meghan Field

9 College Campuses Then-and-Now

By Meghan Field - Nov 30 2016

Over the years, the world is advancing and so are colleges all around the country. The changes are done to attract more students and keep up with current technology. Here are a few of the schools whose academics may have stayed the same, but the buildings have transformed quite a bit. Or, maybe not. 

1. Pennsylvania State University — State College, PA

Keystone Crossroads

Back in the 1850s, Old Main housed the President's office, residence for up to 400 students, a chapel, classrooms and labs. Old Main was the only building on campus until the 1880s when more academic buildings came about. The current Old Main is located in the same spot and still has the bell clock tower. Now, Old Main houses President Eric Barron. Currently, Penn State's University Park acceptance rate is 50 percent.

2. Harvard — Cambridge, MA

Alibaba & Bostlnno

Established in 1872, the Harvard Medical School arose. With a sparse faculty starting with three professors and only four mandatory classes, the students in the program did not have to pay tuition. Rather, each student paid a fee to attend a lecture in either physics, anatomy and surgery, chemistry or pharmacology. Currently, the MD program has expanded to 710 students and 799 PhD students. Today, Harvard's acceptance rate is 6 percent.

3. Notre Dame — Notre Dame, IN

Arthur J. Hope & Wall Paper Cave

One hundred and twenty-five years ago, the doors to Notre Dame's Main Building opened for the first time. In April of 1880, the building burnt down. Notre Dames founder, Reverend Edward F. Sorin, thought that it was his fault that the building burnt down. He thought this because he came to Notre Dame with a vision of a great university and he named it after the Mother of God, but she had to burn it down because Sorin was being too narrow-minded. The acceptance rate is 21 percent, currently.

4. Ohio State University — Columbus, OH

The Ohio State football stadium, also called "The Horseshoe," was built in 1922 and has a seating capacity of 66,210 fans. It only took $1,000,000 to build the stadium and it took around a year to complete the structure. Throughout the years the stadium has received some updates such as electronic scoreboards and the big screen every fan is dying to get on at least once during a game. This year, Ohio State is ranked number two in the Big 10. This university's acceptance rate is 53 percent.

5. Stanford — Stanford, CA

Ashley Ngu

Surprisingly, back in 1915, Stanford was one of the few universities that offered free tuition. The tuition price skyrocketed to $45,729 during the 2015-2016 school year. Over the 125 years  Stanford has been in existence, a plethora of aspects of the university have changed. From the changes in microscope technologies for science students and faculty to the rebuilding of the 17-acre quad that was destroyed by an earthquake in 1906, Stanford is constantly tailoring to their students needs in order to succeed. The current acceptance rate for this beautiful California university is 5 percent.

6. Brown — Providence, RI

Mike Cohea

Rhode Island Hall, pictured above, is still used by students on a daily basis. This building is the fourth largest building on campus. In 1875, students in a taxidermy class learned about the animals they are holding in the picture. Currently, students still take class in this building and even use it as study spots to prepare for upcoming exams. The acceptance rate is 9 percent.

7. Cornell — Ithaca, NY

Cornell University Libraries

In 1891 when the library was opened, the Uris Library was named the, "finest college library building in the country." In 1924, the library held over 710,000 books and was ranked the fourth largest library among universities in the country. Then, in 1961, the Olin Library was constructed to help house all of the books. Currently, the acceptance rate for Cornell is 14 percent.

8. Johns Hopkins University — Baltimore, MD

Image Credit: Baltimoresun

Gilman Hall has always been a popular place for students to pass on their way to class due to its central location on campus. This building houses the mechanical and electrical engineering classes. Prior to the building being in the location it is located at now, it used to be located on the north side of the quad and now it is located on the west side of the quad, where it faces the universities main entrance. The acceptance rate currently is 16 percent.

9. Virginia Tech — Blacksburg, VA

Virginia Tech Libraries

When established in 1872, the Newman Library housed 500 volumes of books and currently houses over 2,000,000 volumes of books. The mission statement of the library is something that has not changed since it has been built: "Provide and promote access to information resources for the achievement of the university's objectives in learning, discovery, and engagement." The acceptance rate is 73 percent.

It is always so interesting to check out how universities have changed throughout the years. Every college is going to change at some point to continually meet their students' needs technology wise, research wise and otherwise. Keep on the lookouts for changes your college is making and take advantage of all of them!

Meghan Field - Pennsylvania State University

Meghan is a sophomore at Penn State - University Park. She's from Hershey, PA. She is going to major in Biobehavioral Health and Psychology with a minor in Global Health. She has been dancing her whole life and has always had an interest in writing and anything science related. Instagram is @meghanfield.