by Meghan Field

7 Need-to-Know Gift Wrapping Tips

By Meghan Field - Dec 21 2016

Now that Christmas is less than a week away (that is so hard to believe!), it is time to get cracking on wrapping last minute gifts for friends, family, coworkers, etc. While wrapping may seem like a tedious task that takes a few hours to accomplish, it can easily be done if you know the right tips and tricks to get wrapping done more efficiently and still make your presents look presentable. So here are some gift wrapping tricks I have used over the years.

1. Have all of your materials within arms reach.

You’ll need scissors, wrapping paper, tape, double sided tape, tissue paper, gift tags, bows and, of course, the gift you will be wrapping. If all of the gift wrapping supplies are out and close to you while you are wrapping, you will feel more motivated to get the job done as opposed to getting up each time you need another material.

Jez Timms vis Unsplash

2. Wrap boxes on a hard, flat surface.

Wrapping boxes on a hard flat surface such as a table rather than wrapping the present on a carpeted floor will definitely work in your favor. The wrapping paper will have a smoother and sleeker finish and look more presentable overall. Also, it will be immensely easier to keep the package still instead of it slipping and sliding all over the floor.

Nathan Lemon via Unsplash

3. If you’re low on wrapping paper, use alternatives.

There are tons of different ways that gifts can be wrapped. A common way to wrap gifts is with newspaper, a brown paper bag, fabric or even cereal boxes. You are then able to individualize how you wrap each present with bows and tags as well as drawing your own designs on the paper.

Annie Spratt via Unsplash

4. Use double sided tape.

Double sided tape is a life saver. It allows for a tape free look when you are wrapping your gifts. The tape is merely hidden. This tape also speeds up the process because you are able to use less tape and keep the whole ordeal simpler.

Kari Shea via Unsplash

5. If your gift is an odd shape, put it in a bag.

Instead of taking a lot of time to try to cut the perfect amount of wrapping paper and trying to get it wrapping paper to fit around the gift without ripping, it is much easier to put the gift in a bag. These gifts can include anything from a candle to a bottle of wine. The gift will look much prettier and neater if you put some tissue paper at the bottom of the bag, put the gift on top of the tissue paper and then top off the gift with some more tissue paper.

Vadim B via Pexels

6. Keep everyone’s gifts separate.

If you have a lot of people on your gift list and multiple gifts for each person, then the gifts can often get jumbled together and can create more of a headache than is needed while wrapping presents. Come up with a strategy that works for you, whether that is having separate piles for each person as you wrap the gift, wrapping each person's gifts all at once or segmenting out the gifts by groups of people who going to see all at once.

Kristina Balic via Unsplash

7. Be creative!

You can get bored doing the same tedious task of wrapping over and over again, so why not mix it up? Instead of using the same wrapping paper and same bows on each present, you can come up with different ways to make each present individual.

Andrew Neel via Unsplash

Have fun wrapping! Getting gifts for others is one of the best ways to spread holiday cheer.

Meghan Field - Pennsylvania State University

Meghan is a sophomore at Penn State - University Park. She's from Hershey, PA. She is going to major in Biobehavioral Health and Psychology with a minor in Global Health. She has been dancing her whole life and has always had an interest in writing and anything science related. Instagram is @meghanfield.