by Meghan Field

15 Types of People You'll Meet Your Freshman Year of College

By Meghan Field - Dec 10 2016

Freshman year is a year to test the waters and see who you are compatible with. If you are anything like me, you'll want to become friends with everyone you come in contact with. Each and every person is an individual, so I've decided to compile a list of the various types of friends you will have by the end of your freshman year.

1. The Football Fanatic

Almost every university has a football team. Some are larger than others. But there will always be that one person who obsesses over the team by going to every football game, watching the games on television while commentating the entire time, and going absolutely crazy.

2. The Party Animal

There are certain students that, no matter what day of the week it is, decide to go out and party whenever they feel like partying. They have an exam in two days? They'll use partying as their escape from studying. Some people are just always up for a good time.

3. The Overachiever

Yes, there are still going to be some students who do everything in their power to become a professor's best buddy by going to office hours constantly or asking tons of questions in a large lecture hall. Their peers are often going to find them annoying since they are wasting everyone's time by asking redundant questions, seeing how they can live up to their full potential in class, and they have endless stories to tell about them being president of six different clubs.

4. The Theatre Kid

Many universities offer some sort of theatre major. This may seem like a trivial major, but it does involve a lot of work. It can seem as though this student is always on the run. I know this from experience because my suite mate is a theatre major and she is constantly working on her next script, her vocals and anything else theatre related. It is her life.

5. The Genius

There is going to be someone in one of your hard lectures that doesn’t get below a 100% on any given exam in your chemistry class. When the professor asks a tricky, misleading, obscure question about calorimetry in class, within a matter of seconds their hand is in the air and they give a perfect answer and the rest of the students are like "Woah, how does this kid even know this...but more importantly, why?"

6. The Frat Boy

That cute boy you see wearing the pastel colored shorts with a J Crew button down? That’s the frat boy you’re looking at. It’s pretty awesome that they get to live in a large, often unkempt house with around twenty (maybe even more) other guys. The guys also throw major parties starting on Thirsty Thursday all the way through the next Thirsty Thursday. How exciting!

7. The Pre-Professional

Literally every university has various pre-professional programs. From pre-law to pre-med, there are going to be studious students who are preparing to get into grad school and that is all that is on their mind, so they seem constantly stressed about keeping their grades up in order to even get into grad school. They’re constantly preparing for their next difficult exam.

8. The Slacker Who Gets Better Grades Than You

We all know a student who procrastinates and doesn’t do their homework but miraculously ends up on the Dean’s List each semester with much higher grades than you, the student who works and studies around the clock and is barely pulling a high B in a specific class.

9. The Athlete

Some students aren’t quite ready to give up the sport they have been playing their entire life. Whether the student is playing on a D1 basketball team or just on club for fun, the athlete is always working out in addition to spending a lot of their time playing their sport. They always complain about the sport or says how they are having the time of their life. There is literally no in between.

10. The Laid Back Professor

Fortunately, during my first semester in college, I’ve been blessed with the cool professor. He was the happy go lucky professor who made chemistry seem interesting and understandable. The laid back professors are sometimes the best as they create a stress-free environment for students and seem more approachable than a tense, rude professor.

11. The Dancer

So many universities offer a dance team or various dance teams and more often than not, once you meet a dancer, you’ll end up feeling obligated to attend all of his or her performances. The dancer is often be peppy and has no problem dancing around wherever they go.

12. The Roomie

This is the girl or guy you get to spend the entire year in close proximity with. You learn each other’s deepest darkest secrets and you learn to read each other’s minds. How cool. Unless of course you two do not get along and have to switch rooms. But that is the worst case scenario. It is best if you two remain cordial and it is the absolute best if you two become the best of friends for the remainder of college and even into your adult years.

13. The Food Junkie

Food is life, am I right? There will always be that one person in your large lecture class constantly snacking on something during class. At least that’s how it was in my calc class this year. There was a girl who would bring a large box of Flavor Blasted Goldfish. She is living the life.

14. The Politician

Oh my. There are plenty of students you will meet who are very opinionated politically and involved in many political clubs on campus. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it can certainly get annoying when they constantly are in your face voicing their opinions and trying to get you to change your mind about your political views.

15. The Homesick

The mindset heading into college is that you are going to be living on your own and loving every second of it because who doesn’t love freedom? But the sad reality is there are some students who are immediately homesick and not ready for this new chapter of their life. These students often close themselves off and seem down, just wishing they could remain young forever.

No matter who you meet, be sure to not judge a book by its cover. I know this is cliche, but that is the best rule for making new friends. If someone does not treat you right or is too much of a distraction, definitely don’t give them the time of day. Your friends are supposed to make you happy and be as positive asset to your life.

Meghan Field - Pennsylvania State University

Meghan is a sophomore at Penn State - University Park. She's from Hershey, PA. She is going to major in Biobehavioral Health and Psychology with a minor in Global Health. She has been dancing her whole life and has always had an interest in writing and anything science related. Instagram is @meghanfield.