Display people woman girl writing
by Meghan Field

15 Productive Things To Do in Between Your Classes

By Meghan Field - Sep 14 2016

It is SO easy to get sidetracked in-between your classes and when you have free time during your day. Time can seem to slip away and then you are in a time crunch to get all of your responsibilities done and still have time for yourself. Time management, unfortunately, is a skill many college students put by the wayside without someone constantly pressuring them or nagging them to actually follow through with their commitments and get their work done.

Sometimes, sadly, you have two to three-hour breaks in between classes where you feel as though you can't get anything done. Whether this is because you know if you go back to your dorm that you'll get distracted or that you feel like that is not an ample amount of time to get your obligations done and you just sit around and play on your phone, know that there are other options. So, if this sounds like you, check out these tips for being productive with the limited time you have in college.

1. Do homework.

This one may seem obvious, but it is important to do your homework so you don't fall behind in your classes. Since homework is portable, you can literally do it anywhere. And I mean ANYWHERE. You can go find a bench and work on your homework outside. You can go back to your dorm and sit at your desk and complete it. You can head to the library and find a quiet place where you can focus on your assignment. You can work on it while grabbing a bite to eat. So there is no excuse that you couldn't find a place or the time to get your homework done.

2. Go to the library and study.

When it comes to studying for exams, you can often get distracted if you go back to your dorm or go to a very social place or even have your phone within reach. Taking advantage of the time you have between classes to study is crucial to your success in each course. Go to the library, find a quiet place and actually go over your notes and read your textbook. Many libraries have sound-proof rooms that you can reserve. A couple of times a month it will be really beneficial to spend an hour or two in there so you can zone everything else out and just focus on your academics.

3. Grab a bite to eat.

After spending so much time in your classes, you're bound to get hungry. If you have a break around lunch, grab some lunch. The same goes for around dinnertime. It is important to snack in between classes to keep up your energy. You will feel reenergized and ready to conquer the rest of your day. But make sure you make healthy choices.

4. Hit the gym.

If you want to stay fit, use the hour or so break you have to go to one of the gyms on your campus. It is a great way to destress and will allow you to clear your mind and have some peace in your busy schedule. You can finally have some me time.

5. Check your e-mail.

You don't want to miss any important announcements, do you? That is why it is necessary that you check your college e-mail every day to stay up to date with what is happening on campus and to see if there are any e-mails from your professors about class cancellations or changing the date of a major assignment or exam. You'll always be in the know.

6. Wash your clothes.

There are often certain times of the day when getting your laundry done is popular, which is usually in the morning or night, but if you have time in between classes, it is the perfect time to get your laundry done without a mad rush of people and a long wait for an available washer and dryer. Maybe you'll even have time to fold them as well, which is a major plus and an amazing use of your time.

7. Visit a professor.

If you have questions or need guidance on an assignment, definitely take the time to go speak with your professor! Often times, professors feel as though they don’t have enough students coming in for their office hours, so they definitely appreciate when students take the time to come in and see them. It will look certainly look good on your part. Make it a habit of going to visit him or her, especially if you are struggling. Even though professors may seem intimidating, their job is to help you succeed.

8. Get business done.

As a college student, you will have many obligations outside of the classroom as well. Use the time you have to turn in a form you've been putting off turning in, ask a question about financial aid that you've been dying to get answered or run some errands, such as going to your local convenience store and picking up some toiletries you're running low on.

9. Make an effort to get a job.

If you have the time, you can try to get an on-campus job. Most jobs understand that you are a college student and your academics come first, so they are often flexible in scheduling you and work around your class schedule. Not only does a job allow you to kill time between classes, it is a great way to earn money and gain experience with the general public, a skill you will need after graduation!

10. Take a power nap.

Going to classes every day mixed with staying up late to study and get assignments done calls for a short nap every so often. If you have the time, go back to your dorm or find a cozy corner in the library and set the alarm on your phone for thirty minutes. You'll definitely learn to appreciate sleep and you'll be much more awake for your next class of the day

11. Join a club.

Joining a club is a fantastic way to meet new people and have something to keep you busy. Find out what you're interested in and see if your school offers a club for it. If not, you can always make your own club! Being a member of a club or two or three looks great on your resume and shows that you are outgoing and passionate, two very important qualities that future employers look for in their employees.

12. Watch Netflix.

Okay, this might not be the best use of your time but if you are super into a series it is better to use the time between your classes to get a couple of episodes in rather than binge watching at some other point during your day where you have more time that you should be utilizing for homework and studying. But having some down time every so often is much needed and watching shows you're into can be the perfect stress reliever.

13. Make a to-do list.

For the duration of your college career, there are always going to be things that need to be done. There is something so satisfying about writing down anything and everything that you need to accomplish and crossing it off. So sit down and take some time to think through all you need to get done and make a list. Then get to it. Begin to get stuff done.

14. Go over what you just learned in class.

It is virtually impossible to retain every single concept that was taught in your lecture. So going over the information while it is fresh on your mind will not only help you remember the information better, but will allow you to be more prepared for the next time you go into class. If you put off reviewing for a while, you may never get it done and therefore not fare as well in the class. So try to avoid putting off your studies.

15. Take a walk.

Decompressing is an important part of everyone's life. If you feel super stressed, take a walk around campus during your down time. It will give you time to think about life and reflect on certain events that have happened recently. It can be nice to take a walk by yourself, but if you are feeling outgoing definitely see if some friends want to join you.

There will always be endless possibilities of things to do during the time you have to yourself. Have fun, but remember that your academics are as important as your well being. So make a healthy balance between the two to ensure your success during these four years.

Meghan Field - Pennsylvania State University

Meghan is a sophomore at Penn State - University Park. She's from Hershey, PA. She is going to major in Biobehavioral Health and Psychology with a minor in Global Health. She has been dancing her whole life and has always had an interest in writing and anything science related. Instagram is @meghanfield.