Display penn state nittany lion
by Meghan Field

10 Tips for Your First College Football Game

By Meghan Field - Sep 26 2016
Every student looks forward to something different during their two free days on the weekend, but one thing that almost all students look forward to on the weekends is going to one of the biggest social events your school can offer: a football game. Whether your school is a large school with a huge football following or a tiny school with a not as well known team, football is always a good time to show your school spirit and pride.

As with almost everything you do in college, there are always going to be tips on how to make the most of your experiences. While attending your first college football game, there are so many things that are necessary that you do to have the best time.

1. Sit in the middle of the student section.

Finding seats for your university's football games can be extremely stressful, especially as a freshman who has not had this experience before. This certainly isn't like high school where it sequentially goes seniors at the very bottom, then juniors, sophomores and freshmen in the back. Most of the time, the other people around you won't know whether you're a freshman or a senior, nor care, so in that respect where you sit does not matter. The best seats in the house are definitely around 25 rows up because then you are not too low where it is harder to see everything that is going on and you feel too close. They are also not too high where the football players and cheerleaders look way too small.

2. Check the weather.

You definitely don't want to be caught without a sweatshirt if it is freezing outside. You certainly don't want to have a bad time because you're getting soaked and don't have a poncho. It is always important to check the weather and have the appropriate attire while you are rooting your team on to victory.

3. Take tons of pictures.

What would make a better Instagram post than you with your besties in the stadium with the football field in the background? Nothing! Yes, you can always come back to football games as an alum, but to make the memories as a college student last forever it is imperative to snap some pics. You'll regret it later in life when you don't have pictures from college to show your kids.

Meghan Field

4. Eat some awesome food at tailgates.

While tailgating is not everyone's cup of tea, you can't say no to the food. Tailgates usually take place a couple of hours before the football game begins, most of the time in the parking lot outside of the stadium. It is a great way to get together and socialize with friends while eating some pretty amazing food.

5. Wear anything related to your university.

This may seem like a no-brainer, but it is rather important to wear clothing and accessories that show your school spirit, or else you may appear as though you are the odd man out. You can wear anything from a hat with your university's logo, a shirt or sweatshirt that has your university's name on it or even socks that are your university's colors. Another cool thing to do is experiment with face paint, as you can create some really cool designs to showcase your school pride.

6. Participate in themed games.

Student sections are notorious for having various themed games throughout the football season, so get creative! From having a white out to a rich out, you're sure to have various articles of clothing right in your dorm closet that allow you to dress the part.

7. Make sure you cheer for the right team.

If you don't know every little detail about football that is OK. But one thing that you should definitely figure out is which side of the field your team has to go to in order to get a touchdown. Because if you don't have a clue about which team is which, then you're in trouble!

8. Be ready for HUGE crowds.

This especially goes for large universities. It often gets really crowded at games, so it is super important that you plan ahead. Since student seats are usually first come first serve on the order you get in line, make sure you try to get to the game early if you want a larger selection of seats and you want to avoid being in line for a long time. The same goes with leaving the game. As soon as the game is over, everyone tries to leave. So, if the game isn’t extremely important to you, then you could always leave a little early. On the other hand, you could always stick around a little bit after the game as well.

9. Bring your basic human decency with you.

Don't be rude to people, push people or shove people out of the way. Don't scream at the top of your lungs right in someone's ear. Don't show up to the game drunk. Basically, don’t do anything that would ordinarily bother you because more often than not it will bother someone else.

10. Be sociable.

Football games are a social event! Don't be afraid to go out of your comfort zone and converse with new people. Who knows, maybe they could end up being great new friends of yours!

Meghan Field

Enjoy your time going to your first ever college football game! It will definitely be an experience you will never forget. You will then be able to say you've experienced one of the most amazing things college has to offer.

Lead Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Meghan Field - Pennsylvania State University

Meghan is a sophomore at Penn State - University Park. She's from Hershey, PA. She is going to major in Biobehavioral Health and Psychology with a minor in Global Health. She has been dancing her whole life and has always had an interest in writing and anything science related. Instagram is @meghanfield.