by Megan Choate

8 Ways To Have A Great Night Without Leaving Your Dorm

By Megan Choate - Feb 19 2016

Too cold to go outside? No parties because of spring semester rush? That doesn't mean your weekend's a bust. Grab your friends, get creative, and give yourselves a night to remember! Here are some ideas to get you started:

1) Have a themed movie marathon

Decide what kind of movies you want to watch first (80s movies, Disney, old Hollywood musicals, superhero movies, etc.); then, find 3 or 4 that fit that genre on Netflix or Amazon and grab the popcorn. If you're feeling really creative, you and your friends could dress up according to the movie theme!

2) Turn your room into a spa

Sometimes you just need to unwind after a crazy week - so make a playlist of calming music, put on your PJs and get ready to relax! Scour Pinterest for some simple spa treatments you can do, like homemade face masks (you only need a few ingredients) or cool nail designs. You could even follow along with a yoga/meditation video on YouTube to clear your head!

3) Compete in Dorm Olympics

via Fanpop

If Jim Halpert and Michael Scott did it, so can you. Put your heads together, grab some household items you have laying around and make up your own events. From tissue box snowshoeing to trash can basketball to seeing who can fit the most M&Ms in his mouth, the possibilities are endless. Don't forget to make medals with whatever you have on hand for the winners!

4) Enjoy a fancy meal - college student style

You've been obsessing over the idea of making food in a mug for months, so why not do it? Find 3 courses you can make in a mug: an appetizer, a meal, and most importantly, a dessert. Put someone in charge of making each one, then get dressed up, gather in one person's room and enjoy your culinary masterpieces together! (Just don't start a fire. You don't want to be that person. No one likes that person.)

5) Host a mini rave

Set the mood by downloading an app that will turn the LED light on your iPhone into a strobe light, like RoboStrobe or iLights. Then, make a killer playlist, put on your favorite white or neon clothes, and dance the night away!

6) Get crafty

Feeling artistic? YouTube has countless "paint night" tutorials; you choose a design you like and the artist teaches you how to paint it step by step. Gather your supplies, pick a tutorial, and create a gorgeous new decoration to hang on your wall! Don't forget to grab snacks to help those creative juices flow!

7) Sing your heart out in Dorm Idol

Channel your inner Beyoncé or Justin Timberlake and sing to your favorite karaoke track (bonus points for dance moves). Have your friends act as judges for hilarious commentary. You can even post clips to your Snapchat story and have everyone watching "vote" for the next Dorm Idol!

8) Create a cookie decorating bar

Treat yourself to a delicious dessert! Have one friend provide the cookies and the rest bring one or two toppings (frosting, sprinkles, candy, etc.), then hold a contest to see who can come up with the most creative cookie design - and be sure to take lots of pictures. You could even bring ice cream to make cookie sandwiches!

With a little ingenuity, it's easy to bust the winter blues and make amazing memories. Which activity will you and your friends try?

Lead image credit: Pexels

Megan Choate - Syracuse University

Originally from Boston, Megan is a freshman at Syracuse University studying Public Relations. When she's not writing, you can find her cheering on the Orange in the Carrier Dome, dancing wherever there's music, looking at cute pictures of dogs even though she's scared of them, or planning her next trip to Disney World.