by Maya Ungar

What Now: 5 Things You Need to Know about What Happens Next for President-Elect Trump

By Maya Ungar - Nov 10 2016

In case you have been living under a rock, I will remind you that on November 8th, Donald Trump was elected president #45 of the United States. But what happens now? We still have almost two months before President-Elect Trump becomes President Trump. Here are five things that will be part of Trumps pre-term life.

1. Picking His Cabinet

Trump can’t run the country alone. In the upcoming weeks, look for him to gradually announce who will fill his various positions. This is incredibly important because his cabinet are his top advisors. They are not elected, yet they will have a significant say over how the country is run. There is a lot of speculation about his picks, including possibly Newt Gingrinch for Secretary of State or Sarah Palin for Interior Secretary, but we will not know for sure until an official announcement. 

2. International Reactions

There has already been an inpouring of international reactions to the election, and the responses have been mixed. Russian president Vladimir Putin sent a note of congratulations to Trump, remarking on how he looked forward to an improvement in Russian-American relations. In contrast, Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf expressed how Trump’s victory left her “extremely saddened,” and France’s President Francois Hollande expressed concern over what he called "a period of uncertainty" that comes with Trump’s election. In a bit of contrast, Enrique Peña Nieto, the President of Mexico, offered his congratulations to Americans on their electoral process, but failed to congratulate Trump himself on the win. These reactions, and Trump's interactions with foreign leaders, are important to watch in the weeks leading up to his inauguration.

3. Invigorating the Silent Majority

Much of Trump’s win is being credited to the “silent majority,” Americans, who for various reasons, did not want to express their choice of vote, yet went out and voted for Donald Trump. These people, because of their silence, were not seen in the polls, which is why so few people accurately predicted the outcome of the election. In order to reestablish the mandate from the people that is diminished by Clinton’s popular vote win, Trump must invigorate this silent majority to show support for him. This will be one of his challenges coming up to Inauguration Day.

4. The Popular Vote

One important thing Trump must prove before he is inaugurated is that he has the support of the American people. Trump won the Electoral College and therefore the election. However, with 98% of the votes in, news sites are calling that Hillary Clinton actually won the popular vote. This is bad news for Trump’s ability to claim that he has a mandate from the people to enact his policies. While he technically won the election, the American population overall supported Clinton more, and he will have to fight to come back from that. 

5. Lawsuits

In an unprecedented occurrence, Trump, before he takes office, will have to go to court to settle several lawsuits about his finances. For example, On November 28th, the Trump University case will go to trial.  This particular case should not affect anything about his inauguration, as it is a civil case, but it is an interesting pre-term occurrence that most president-elects do not have to worry about.

No matter your view on Trump’s election, it is arguably our duty as Americans to rally behind him as our president. If you are dissatisfied, there are so many ways to get involved to resist the effects of his presidency, and I urge you to do so. However, as Americans, we must accept the results of this election.

Lead Image Credit: Cable News Network

Maya Ungar - University of Arkansas

Maya Ungar is a sophomore at the University of Arkansas triple majoring in International Studies, French and Political Science. Maya is obsessed with cheese, the color yellow and politics. Follow her on Instagram @mayaungar