by Maya Ungar

Trump Is Making A Huge Mistake By Recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s Capital

By Maya Ungar - Dec 06 2017

Dear President Trump,

As a Jewish student living in the middle of the bible belt, I cling to my identity. For some people, I am the first and only Jew that they will ever meet, and I feel that burden of being a representation of my entire community. In this regard, I am often asked about my position regarding Israel. This is a tough question for me, one that I still have not completely formulated my opinion on.

It is my belief that the land should never have been forcibly taken from the Palestinians and given as a Jewish homeland in the first place. However, I recognize the importance for my faith group to have a religious homeland, and it is not logical to now strip the Israelis of their home and force them to be refugees as well (which is exactly what happened to the Palestinians). So, even with my extensive research into the subject, I can’t seem to agree with any of the solutions out there.

However, something I can agree on, is that you should not officially recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. This is something that presidents of both parties have refrained from doing in the past, in the best interest of not exacerbating the situation in the Middle East. In fact, you are the first president to take this step since Israel's founding. Mr. President, I understand that you campaigned on a promise of being a better friend to Israel, but your desire for increased ratings should not jeopardize an already fragile political situation. This is not a TV show, and peoples’ lives are being put on the line. Experts overwhelmingly agree that your decision is going to incite violence in the region, and Arab leaders have already spoken out in anger about your actions. I beg you to rethink your decision, both as a concerned global and Jewish-American citizen. 

Sincerely,

A Concerned Citizen

Maya Ungar - University of Arkansas

Maya Ungar is a sophomore at the University of Arkansas triple majoring in International Studies, French and Political Science. Maya is obsessed with cheese, the color yellow and politics. Follow her on Instagram @mayaungar