Display attribution c span height 318 no border preferpromo width 480
by Maya Ungar

7 Things You Need to Know About What Happened at the DNC in Philly

By Maya Ungar - Jul 30 2016

This past week in Philadelphia, history (or herstory) was made. Hillary Clinton became the first woman EVER to be nominated by a major party for the office of president of the united states. We have compiled below 8 major highlights of the convention that are essential to know accompanied with tweets to explain them .

1. The DNC email leak

One of the biggest news stories leading up to the convention was the DNC’s email hack, which released emails showing the blatant favoritism that the DNC had towards Hillary’s campaign, and the efforts they took to reduce media coverage of Bernie. This scandal led to the resignation of DNC chair Debbie Wasserman-Schultz. Many top U.S. officials are now saying that Russia was most likely responsible for the hack as an effort to influence the American election toward Trump. In a press conference, Trump actually invited Russia to hack Hillary again, sparking immediate outrage from his opponents who accused him of supporting his own interests instead of that of the country.

2. Bill Clinton loves Balloons

At the end of his wife’s speech, Bill Clinton joined Hillary on stage for celebration, and America learned something new about the former president; Bill loves balloons. No, I’m not joking. As hundreds of thousands of balloons dropped from the ceiling onto the convention floor, Bill delighted in kicking, throwing, and simply gazing lovingly at the balloons. Safe to say, the internet freaked out over how cute it was and we did too.

via GIPHY

3. Bernie or Bust

Coming on the heels of the previously mentioned leaking of DNC emails, it was safe to say that Bernie supporters were not happy. A coalition of “Bernie or Bust” people, democrats who refuse to vote for Hillary and instead will write in Bernie, disrupted the convention at many different points, including booing Sanders himself when he endorsed Hillary. While these supporters were mostly ignored, Sarah Silverman did go off script at the end of her speech, calling Bernie or Bust supporters “ridiculous”. The cries got considerably softer as the convention wore on, but their presence shows an obvious discord between democrats that echoes the divide we saw in Cleveland a week previously.

4. Michelle Obama

Michelle Obama’s speech on Tuesday night was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the convention. Her powerful rhetoric won the heart of millions and spurred the hashtag #michelleforpresident to trend on Twitter. She spoke about “growing up every day in a house built by slaves”, and how “because of Hillary Clinton, [her] daughters and all of our sons and daughters now take for granted that a woman can be president of the United States.” If you have not watched it yet, it is a must see.

5. Tim Kaine

The world at large was formally introduced this week to Tim Kaine, who has been hailed by democrats as the most qualified Vice Presidential candidate ever. And, history seems to back them up on this point. Kaine is one of 20 people EVER to be a mayor, senator, and governor. With a son in the Marines, experience as a missionary in Honduras, and an attendee of the same church for 30 years, he is a good choice for the Clinton campaign in their efforts to draw over many moderate republicans. (Also, the internet is kind of freaking out a bit over young HOT Tim Kaine).

6. Bernie's brother emotionally nominates him for president

One of the most touching moments of the convention happened when Larry Sanders, brother of Bernie Sanders, emotionally nominated Bernie for President. He talked about how proud their parents would be of Bernie, and managed to almost elicit tears from the 74 year old senator and from many of the crowd.

7. Two last words: STAR POWER

The stars turned out en masse for the DNC convention, with performances from Katy Perry, Alicia Keys, Paul Simon, Demi Lovato and more. Many other celebrities also threw their weight behind Secretary Clinton with speeches from stars including Chloe Grace Moretz, Lena Dunham, Tony Goldwyn (Mr. President a la the Scandal universe), America Ferrara, Debra Messing, Meryl Streep, and more. While the Republican National Convention had some stars show support, there was nowhere near the star power as the Dems had in Philly.

Lead Image Credit: National Cable Satellite Corporation

Maya Ungar - University of Arkansas

Maya Ungar is a sophomore at the University of Arkansas triple majoring in International Studies, French and Political Science. Maya is obsessed with cheese, the color yellow and politics. Follow her on Instagram @mayaungar