by Maya Ungar

Dear Hillary Supporters

By Maya Ungar - Nov 10 2016

Dear Hillary Supporters,

I know many of you are saddened or disheartened by the results of the election, and trust me, I am as well. However, these results do not mean that the fight is over. 

Our job is harder, but we must still push for progress in this country. It is up to us to show young girls that it is still possible to break glass ceilings. It is up to us to show our LGBTQ+ friends that they belong, that they have a place in America. It is up to us to welcome our Muslim brothers and sisters with open arms. It is our conscious duty to fight against the bigotry that Donald Trump brings to America. 

Hillary’s cause was one of love and acceptance, a unified country. Yes, this message did get bogged down in various scandals, but for each and every one of her supporters, it is our duty to uphold her core message. We cannot allow the Trump effect to take place. Now more than ever we cannot afford to be complacent. 

If someone makes a comment that is racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, islamophobic, etc., do not just sit back and accept it. In order to preserve our common decency as Americans, in order to preserve our values of equality and rights for all, we must stand up. Our small protests against the Trump-effect are in our everyday words and actions, and if enough of us pay attention, it can make a real difference. 

This is not the end. Yes, this election is big news and a step backwards. But, it is up to us to not turn away in anger but to use this as fuel to open ourselves up, to ensure that love does trump hate. Even if hate won the most number of electoral votes, it is our actions that decide at the end of the day what affect the election has on America. 

I know this is just one of many posts you will scroll through today, but I hope you take my words to heart. I am, like many of my fellow Americans, still with her, and the American values that she stands for. This is not the end.

A Girl Who Believes in America

Lead Image Credit: Marc Nozell - Flickr Creative Commons 

Maya Ungar - University of Arkansas

Maya Ungar is a sophomore at the University of Arkansas triple majoring in International Studies, French and Political Science. Maya is obsessed with cheese, the color yellow and politics. Follow her on Instagram @mayaungar