Display disney
by Maya Ungar

7 of This Year's Political Candidates as Disney Characters

By Maya Ungar - Jun 29 2016

1. Jeb Bush

With the many sad Jeb! memes going around, it is almost perfect to compare Jeb Bush during the 2016 election season to Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. He’s not exactly anyone’s favorite character/candidate but we all truly do feel for him. The only thing that doesn’t make this a perfect match is the fact that Eeyore was a donkey… and Jeb definitely is not.

2. Bernie Sanders

A modern day Robin Hood, it wasn’t hard to see that Bernie would be the adorable fox in the Disney adaptation. Just like Robin Hood, a lot of people seemed to like his message, from college students to animals (hello Birdie Sanders?). Bernie defies the politician stereotype, and seems to just allude to honesty and trust. Much like Robin Hood overcoming the idea of a sly fox, Bernie defies the stereotype of corrupt politicians. And, he is committed to taking down the big banks on Wall Street, much like the Robin Hood mantra of taking from the rich and giving to the poor.

3. Lincoln Chafee

Lincoln Chafee is the 2016 elections version of Babette (the feather duster) from Beauty and the Beast. Quite frankly, no one knows who either of them are. They both made slight cameos, but were only important as sources of entertainment, whether it be the memes of a smiling Chaffee that hit the internet after democratic debates, or Babette’s relationship with Lumiere.

Broadway Video Production Company

4.Ted Cruz

“Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the most evangelical of them all?” “Well you were, but a new man, Trump, has been calling to your voter base!” Cruz is the evil stepmother to Trump’s Snow White for the Republican party. While staying true to their Christian faith, many evangelicals lost faith in Cruz, much like the evil queen losing her faithful huntsman's trust. Whether it's the contest for the most powerful position in the world, or the title of “fairest of them all,” ultimately neither Cruz nor Snow White’s stepmother were able to clinch the victory.

5. Ben Carson

Much like the dwarf Sleepy, from Snow White and the seven dwarfs, Ben Carson seems to have trouble staying awake. Throughout Republican debates, he always seemed to have his eyes shut. Throughout the campaign we continued to hear little from Ben Carson, as his opponents seemed to dwarf him. He even had to take off time from the middle of the campaign to head to Florida and catch some zzz’s, much like Sleepy would have to do if running for president.

6. Donald Trump

Never before has the American public had a politician that could so accurately fit the description of Gaston from Beauty and the Beast. Well known for his looks, whether positively or negatively, both are very self assured. And, I imagine Gaston would definitely not react kindly to insults on his appearance, much like Trump’s fury over the media’s obsession with his tiny hands. Gaston played against the fears of the villagers towards the beast to rally up against the beast and try to kill it, akin to how Trump has acted towards the Muslims and illegal immigrants in this country. Also like Gaston, Trump has found himself as the antagonist from all sides of the story, whether it be moderate republican or democrat, and he seems to revel in that role.

7. Hillary Clinton

Hillary seems to represent the Elsa of the political spectrum. She is portrayed as cold and isolated from what the people want, and her campaign is still trying to thaw that public image, much like the struggle Anna went through to defrost Arendelle. They both also are breaking down barriers, Elsa with her kingdom's aversion to magic, and Hillary with her quest to become the first female president of the United States. Also, Elsa is known for her bright blue snow-like dress, much like Hillary’s iconic pant suits, both of which have been meme'd many times.

Lead Image Credit: Walt Disney Pictures

Maya Ungar - University of Arkansas

Maya Ungar is a sophomore at the University of Arkansas triple majoring in International Studies, French and Political Science. Maya is obsessed with cheese, the color yellow and politics. Follow her on Instagram @mayaungar