by Maya Ungar

8 Major Things That Happened at the RNC in Cleveland

By Maya Ungar - Jul 22 2016

The Republican Convention in Cleveland over the past week has been one of the most eventful and surprising to date. In order to commemorate that, we have compiled for you the highlights and "must knows" of the RNC so far, complete with tweets from members of all parties in order to attempt to give a more unbiased view of the convention.

1. Cruz’s Speech

On Wednesday night, Ted Cruz spoke at the Republican National Convention that had nominated Donald Trump the night before. Cruz left the stage to boos after failing to endorse Trump, and his wife Heidi was escorted off as Trump supporters got angry. Cruz ended his run for the nomination bitter and second only to Trump, so it was a surprise Trump gave him the chance to speak at all. 

2. Melania’s Speech

Perhaps the biggest controversy of the RNC in Cleveland happened after Melania Trump’s speech. Mrs. Trump was accused of plagiarizing from the speech Michelle Obama gave at the Democratic National Convention in ‘08, and news media outlets were quick to put the two side by side. The Trump camp has continued to deny the plagiarism and up to this date has not fired anyone for the scandal, even against the advice of top Republicans. This plagiarism also sparked the hashtag #famousmelaniatrumpquotes which trended on twitter for hours on Tuesday.

3. Mike Pence

The VP pick and newest guy thrust into the spotlight with by Trumps campaign has actually been in it a long time. Mike Pence is known for his staunch anti-LGBT and pro-life views, and is a former House Rep and a current Governor of Indiana. The Trump campaign is obviously hoping to draw over more moderate Republicans with a candidate like Pence who is more popular with the moderate crowd.

4. The virus

An unfortunate side effect of the convention for some California delegates was the contracting of the “norovirus”. This virus is results in explosive vomiting and diarrhea and is spread in spaces with close contact, like a party convention. Unfortunately for those delegates, it looks like they will be seeing more of the toilet than the speeches. (The news hasn't been covering much of this for obvious reasons, haha.)

5. Protests

Protests have surprisingly been majority uneventful and peaceful outside the Republican convention, both from Democrats and from Republicans of the #nevertrump faction. However there have been 17 protesters arrested just this Wednesday, and the crowds are slowly starting to grow as the convention goes on.

6. The Trump Kids

Trump’s kids have been put center stage, literally, at this convention so far. And, they definitely have not shied away from the spotlight. Mainly telling stories and trying to humanize their father who has been portrayed as unlikable by the media, the Trump kids are there to show a different side of The Donald to potential voters.

7. The Policies

During the RNC, there has been little talk about the actual policies, save for Trump’s apparent love for the coal miners and various mentions of his infamous plans to build a wall. Instead, the speakers have focused on tearing down Hillary, much to the approval of the crowd, and building up the image of Donald to be someone the average Republican can bond with.

8. Donald Trump Accepts The Republican Nomination

Donald Trump officially accepted the Republican nomination for president.

On to the next convention. 

Lead Image Credit: Screengrab from CNN Newscast

Maya Ungar - University of Arkansas

Maya Ungar is a sophomore at the University of Arkansas triple majoring in International Studies, French and Political Science. Maya is obsessed with cheese, the color yellow and politics. Follow her on Instagram @mayaungar