by Maya Ungar

6 Things You Need to Know From the First Presidential Debate

By Maya Ungar - Sep 27 2016

Monday night marked the first Presidential Debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. The debate was definitely less entertaining than some other previous debates, yet still had its fair share of "zingers" along with some actual debate. Read below for a compilation of the 6 most important things to know from the debate taught through tweets.

1. Fact Checking

As is common with any presidential debate, each side attacks the legitimacy of their opponents statements. This is usually solved with a "fact checker" that analyzes each of their statements after the debate. However, this time Secretary Clinton was on top of it. Even within the first few questions, Secretary Clinton advertised the real time fact checker on her website that allowed viewers to keep up with the legitimacy of Trumps claims. Since both candidates are accused of being liars by their opposing parties, fact checkers such as this one are definitely necessary.

2. Stop and Frisk

One of the points of most debate came up around the issue of racial profiling, and the legitimacy of the New York “stop and frisk” law. This law allowed policeman to stop whomever they saw as a potential threat and search them. Hillary argued this was highly unconstitutional, while Trump argued that it significantly helped to reduce murder rates.

3. No fly no buy – the candidates actually agreed!

Hillary Clinton ardently warned against giving those on the “no fly” list by the FBI the ability to purchase guns. And, as a bit of a turn away from his party, Donald Trump agreed with her. It was a rare moment of solidarity for the candidates who struggled to remain civil throughout the debate.

4. President Obama 

What is a presidential debate without atleast a few nods to the current president? These mentions hurt both candidates in different ways. Hillary was forced to defend her switched position for the TPP, one which puts her at odds with President Obama. This is not a good look when her campaign is trying to tie her to the already forming nostalgia of the Obama presidency. Trump, in turn, tried to defend his act of denying, up until a few weeks ago, the legitimacy of President Obama’s birth certificate. His insistence that he was in the right in pursuing the issue was arguably his most controversial of the night.

5. Lester Holt

The moderator for this debate was Lester Holt, a NBC journalist. Arguably taking on a doomed job, he was able to maintain mediocre control of the candidates. However, he did draw some criticism from conservatives for not questioning Hillary on the Clinton foundation. The twitterverse simply felt bad for him, and we honestly do too.

6. The “trumped up economy”

Arguably Hillary’s best one-liner of the night, while talking about the economy, Hillary referred to the inadequacy of the “trumped up trickled down economy”. She not only elicited a round of laughs from the audience, but she managed to hit at what she perceives as the flaws in Trumps economic plan in the process.

While a lot of the talk was centered around the wrong-doings of the other candidate, during this debate we actually got to here more of the policy side of the candidates, which was a refreshing change from the past. Now that you are up to date on all that went down Monday night, its left to you to decide. Who won?

Lead Image Credit: The Cable News Network (CNN)

Maya Ungar - University of Arkansas

Maya Ungar is a sophomore at the University of Arkansas triple majoring in International Studies, French and Political Science. Maya is obsessed with cheese, the color yellow and politics. Follow her on Instagram @mayaungar