by Matt Gehring

This University of Virginia Student Accidentally Stole a Bike For An Entire Month

By Matt Gehring - Oct 01 2016

Bikes are everywhere on college campuses. They’re great for exercise, efficiency and the environment.

(They’re also great for music videos but that’s another topic).

But sadly, bikes aren’t the safest, especially if they aren’t kept locked up.

Adi Sapre, a student at University of Virginia, just learned that in a really, really weird way. His bike was broken, so he asked a friend to help fix it.

“In the meantime,” Sapre told Fresh U, “he let me borrow his spare bike to get around grounds.”

Sapre was supposed to pick the bike up outside of In the Nood, a gourmet noodle bar at UVA with the best name in the country. He found a bike, took it and went on with his life.

All was good in Sapre’s world. He had a functioning bike now, so what could possibly go wrong?

Two weeks later, things went wrong. Sapre’s friend, whose bike he was borrowing, asked him to get some tools out of a pouch that was underneath the seat of the bicycle. It wasn’t there.

“Eventually both of us just chalked it up to someone taking it for their bike.”

Once Sapre’s friend found the pouch one week later, mass confusion ensued.

“He texted me with a picture of the pouch saying ‘Here is the pouch! It was right under the seat,’” Sapre said. “I’m confused as all hell and asked where he found it.”

The friend tells him it was right underneath the seat and that he saw the bike right outside Newcomb Hall, where Sapre was supposed to pick up the bike the first time.

Problem was, Sapre was at home with the bike he had picked up when his friend texted him.

“It slowly dawned on me that I must have grabbed the wrong bike and I’ve been using it for over a month. My friend never saw me riding the bike and no one ever said anything to the contrary.”

So Sapre immediately went into damage control mode and posted about the incident in multiple Facebook groups. All he wanted to do was remedy the situation before anything got too serious.

And via the power of the internet, all was eventually solved.

“After the endless ridicule from my friends, the friend of the owner, who was not on Facebook, messaged me saying it was her friend’s bike.”

Sapre confirmed it really was the student’s bike and returned it. He even found out the bike was named Giovanni, because why not?

“He was super understanding,” Sapre said. “The owner was just happy to have it/him back.”

We’re glad Giovanni and Sapre are all safe now. And we’re glad we can now all enjoy this weird, weird story.

Lead Image Credit: Adi Sapre

Matt Gehring - Syracuse University

Matt Gehring is a senior at Syracuse University studying television, radio, and film. He's into social media and a major pop culture junkie. Matt is Fresh U's Social Media Director and loves writing about what's trending. Follow him on Twitter: @mattryanx