Display kardashian.001
by Matt Gehring

I Spoke Out Against Rob Kardashian's Revenge Porn And Boys Got Really Mad

By Matt Gehring - Jul 06 2017

Leave it to boys on the internet to argue that someone deserved leaked nudes. That’s exactly what happened after giving my input on the Kardashian-Chyna drama this week on Twitter.

First, the facts:

Rob Kardashian leaked naked pictures of Blac Chyna, his (ex?) girlfriend, on Wednesday in a tweetstorm claiming she has repeatedly cheated on him. He also claimed to have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on jewelry and plastic surgery for Chyna. All explicit photos have since been removed from Kardashian’s social media accounts.

Like most millennials, I had a lot of thoughts on the situation. Despite the total mess of a situation that clearly paints both parents in the wrong, I was most upset by Kardashian’s lack of human decency in posting explicit photos of Chyna without her consent. And although it would be awful regardless of the law, it looks like Kardashian may have broken a California revenge porn law.

So, naturally, I tweeted about the situation, as I do and write about quite often. It just so happens this tweet resonated with people, both positively and negatively, and it picked up thousands of retweets.

To nobody’s surprise, lots of boys on Twitter had a lot to say about this situation. Sadly, most of their opinions were pretty gross.

Many just told me to STFU.

Others just laughed it off, because revenge porn is ~funny~.

But lots of the boys truly defended Kardashian’s actions. Some said she deserved it for cheating.

Many boys said since she was once a stripper, her nudes are fair game. Nevermind the fact that choosing to strip is an act of consent, but consent is not permanent.

And because ownership of female bodies is cool, some said Kardashian could post pictures of Chyna’s body since he spent so much money on it.

Some boys threatened to do worse if in similar situations.

Others said they wouldn’t do the same, even though it was the right thing to do.

And, finally, some just had to call me a f*ggot… or at least try.

Being attacked on the internet for sharing an opinion is nothing new. Neither is petty, celebrity drama.

Regardless, it's significant to see so many men defend revenge porn for sexist and misogynistic reasons. It's this mindset that results in leaked, explicit photos for so many young women around the country, especially while in college. Nothing makes revenge porn OK — and that's just basic consent.

Lead Image Credit: NBCUniversal via Twitter

Matt Gehring - Syracuse University

Matt Gehring is a junior at Syracuse University studying television, radio, and film. He's into social media and a major pop culture junkie. Matt is Fresh U's Social Media Director and loves writing about what's trending. Follow him on Twitter: @mattryanx