Display 5 things you can do to prepare for college now
by Maryellen Stohlman-Vanderveen

5 Things You Can Do to Prepare for College Now

By Maryellen Stohlman-Vanderveen - May 30 2015

The summer before your freshman year in college is meant to be super fun. If you are someone who stresses like me though, you are already thinking about all the things you’ll have to do come fall. Do not worry though, Fresh U has you covered with the five things you can do in order to be ready for college come Orientation Day.

1. Start your packing list.

Keep a running list of the things you want to bring with you to college. Between clothes, cosmetics and all the other little things you’ll have to pack, you would be surprised what you might miss. Write something down right after you use it. Nail polish? Extra earring backings? Tape? You’ll remember it all.

2. Save money.

You may want to spend your whole summer hitting the beach with your friends, but when you want to go out in college, you’ll be glad you bussed all those tables to have a little extra cash in your pocket. Can’t find a job? Try hanging up flyers around your area advertising babysitting or yard work services. A little bit here and there can definitely add up by September.

Tumblr

3. Check your summer reading assignment.

Tons of schools have books they want you to read before orientation and sometimes, it is not clear what you have to do before arriving on campus. Student social media groups can be a great place to ask questions or you can just call your school directly to see if there is any summer work to do. It is also important to make sure you have all required documents, such as medical or advising forms, submitted before their due date.

Tumblr

4. Start your “College Bucket List.”

What do you want to accomplish before you graduate? The last four years flew by and don’t fool yourself into thinking the next four won’t either. Do you want to go on an overnight camping trip, be published or try out a new sport? College is the time to try so start the list of things you want to do while you are there, before you get there.

Tumblr

5. Enjoy time with your friends and family.

You’ll be making tons of new friends in the fall so take the next few months to enjoy time with your besties and make a few more high school memories. Don’t forget about your family either. You may be annoyed with your sister borrowing your bathing suit now, but you’ll be missing her, and even your parents, by November. So thank them for helping you get where you are and spend some quality time with them before the school year starts.

Lead Image Credit: galleryhip.com

Maryellen Stohlman-Vanderveen - Smith College

Maryellen Stohlman-Vanderveen is a freshman at Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts. She plans on pursuing journalism and has a passion for psychology and politics. Maryellen enjoys ice cream, long walks in the woods, and reading. Follow her on Instagram or Twitter @maryellenvdv.