Display captiva picture  via unsplash
by Marie Fayssoux

A Letter to My Future Pescetarian Self

By Marie Fayssoux - Aug 13 2016

Hey Future Me,

How's it going? I hope you're not homesick or feeling down because I know that means comfort-food cravings, which includes cookout, BBQ sandwiches and other glorious meat-filled dishes.

Don't give in!

You, the most carnivorous member of the Fayssoux family, knew this would be difficult. You have no one to blame but yourself. Not Mrs. Gavin that informed you that it takes over 600 gallons of water to produce one hamburger, not Kevin Bales who wrote an incredibly compelling book that helped drive home the idea that meat production equals environmental destruction. No, future Marie, this is no one's fault but your own.

But don't be discouraged!

There are a lot of upsides to this pescetarian thing. If you forget about how afraid you are of cows and their towering bulkiness you can commend yourself for saving some of their lives, plus you love chickens! Because of you the world has more chickens! Not to mention the fact that eating less meat leaves more room for eating avocados.

Forget about the doubts of your friends and family. This isn't just a phase like they say. You can and will die a pescetarian, if for no other reason than to spite them. You want this. You want to lessen your ecological impact and you should be proud of yourself for staying dedicated to that.

Be smart about what you eat. You have to make sure you get enough protein but you can't eat too much fish, either. Make sure that you're enjoying the food you eat and try new things! Additionally, pescetarianism says nothing about eating junk food, but I suggest you start lessening your intake. Being a pescetarian isn't just about helping the environment, it's about helping your body. Just in case you feel like you're in a food rut here are some unique recipe ideas: grilled cheese with vegan bacon and avocado, New Orleans style seafood, jalapeno poppers and a twist on your favorite eggplant parmesan, eggplant snack sticks. Don't forget to thank your past self for those.

Please promise me one thing, though. Don't be one of those "holier-than-thou-because-I-don't-eat-meat-and-you-do" types. You can be a pescetarian without letting everyone you encounter know. You have to remember that it's a lifestyle choice that's not right for everyone. Never make anyone feel guilty for enjoying meat (you once did). If someone offers you meat, politely decline. If someone asks about your reasons for being a pescetarian, politely answer. If someone tells you that you alone aren't making a difference, politely disagree.

You've got this.

Much love,

Old You

Lead Image Credit: Captivo Picture via unsplash.com

Marie Fayssoux - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Marie is attending the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She plans to major in human development/family studies and minor in creative writing. She has an affinity for Guinea pigs, hairless cats, glitter, avocados and changing the world. Follow her on Twitter @MissMarieAsh