Display pizza
by Madeleine Williamson

Xavier University Now Has a 'Pizza ATM'

By Madeleine Williamson - Aug 06 2016

Sick of ordering pizza to your dorm from a restaurant late at night? For the lucky students of Xavier University, that will soon be a thing of the past. The university installed a 24/7 pizza vending machine in a residence hall, USA Today reported Thursday.

“We were looking for a way to solve this problem of having a late-night pizza option on campus,” Assistant Vice President Jude Kiah told USA Today.

“We like the idea of being first and innovative and trying something new. There’s one pizza ATM in the U.S. and this is it.”
A similar vending machine at Deakin University in Australia.

“It’s serving the exact same quality pizza that’s in the dining facility,” Kian said. Xavier’s dining service prepares the pizzas. The vending machine refrigerates them until a student selects one. A selected pizza cooks for about three minutes and then drops into a slot, ready to eat.

No worries about money, either. When the machine opens later this month, a medium pizza will run students $9.

Lead image credit: rob_rob2001 on Flickr

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.