Display photo 1463620910506 d0458143143e
by Madeleine Williamson

Tinder for Roommates: Can RentHoop Help You Find True (Roommate) Love?

By Madeleine Williamson - Jul 24 2016

This June, Western Washington University graduate Paul Burke released the app RentHoop. USA Today reported that the app aims to make finding roommates effortless for students.

Burke modeled his app after Tinder. He thinks the similar format can make the process of finding a roommate more painless.

“Our attention spans are shorter than they’ve ever been. I wanted something that’s quick and easy,” he told USA Today.

Like Tinder, the app uses factors like mutual Facebook friends and location to match potential roomies. So far, it's garnered about 5000 downloads. The app posts users’ success stories and glimpses of life with roommates on its Instagram account and under #roommatelife.

Burke admitted that building a business right out of college was challenging. “You need ability to adapt to things quickly, patience and sacrifice,” he said. Sounds a lot like living with roommates.

Lead Image Credit: Gabriel Beaudry

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.