Display how to deal with stress
by Madeleine Williamson

This Psychology Teacher Gave His Students Extremely Helpful Tips on Stress Management

By Madeleine Williamson - Sep 19 2016

“Say no more often. Set priorities in your life. Avoid negative people.” 

These are just some of the stress management tips teacher Brett Phillips gave students at Rio Mesa High School in Oxnard, CA, Teen Vogue reported Friday.

At the start of every school year, Phillips hands out a list of advice for managing stress. The Introduction to Psychology teacher has been doing it for 10 years. The high school teacher says he wants students to know how to cope with stress. Stressed-out seniors make up many of his students, so the list is a way of helping them out.

His advice boils down to one thing: focusing on what’s important. And Phillips says self-care is vital. Stress is unhealthy. But you can mitigate it with positive coping strategies like the ones Phillips lists.

Phillips’ student Alina Ramirez liked the list so much she opted to share it on Twitter. Her teacher’s tips are popular. The Tweet has over 23,000 retweets and 28,000 likes. 

“My psychology teacher gave us this paper on how to cope with stress and thought I'd share it,” Ramirez said.

Some of Ramirez's highlighted tips: 

"Prepare for the morning the night before." 
"Don't rely on your memory - write it down." 
"Believe in yourself." 
"Look up at the stars." 
"Buy yourself a flower."

They're easy ways to lead a happier, stress-free life.

Freshman year is one of the biggest transitions any of us will make in our lives. It's easy to get stressed out and lose sight of the big picture. But Phillips' tips remind us of how important self-care is – and give us ideas for how to practice it.

Lead image credit: Helder C Jr on Flickr Creative Commons.

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.