Display 55035824 b04646f717 o
by Madeleine Williamson

This Professor Is a Trump Supporter And Someone Is Protesting His Views With Posters

By Madeleine Williamson - Sep 11 2016

What would you do if your professor was a Trump supporter? Maybe you’d agree to disagree, or even agree. But somebody at Michigan State University isn’t content to do that. They’ve begun a poster campaign notifying students of the professor’s political views, Inside Higher Ed reported Friday.

“Guzman cheers on fascist oligarch while waving a ‘Make America Great Again’ sign,” a flier picturing Joseph Guzman at a Trump rally said. 

Guzman is an assistant professor of human resources and labor relations at Michigan State.

Complicating matters, Guzman is Hispanic and teaches in the Chicano/Latino studies program. It’s not news that many view Trump’s comments and policies as demeaning to Hispanics. Guzman has thus drawn sharp criticism for serving as co-chair for Trump’s Michigan campaign.

Guzman gives an interview on serving on the Trump campaign.

The poster says “Guzman claims to represent the Hispanic community by advocating for unfair and unequal working conditions for migrant workers that place them at the mercy of predatory bosses,” the posters said.

Guzman says he’s not happy with the posters, but respects their right to be there. The First Amendment “protects freedom of expression and association, particularly in the civic realm.” 

It’s “unfortunate some think that civic activity involves suppressing other individuals' right to free speech with lies, smears and disruption,” he said.

Are they coming down? A university spokesman said the haven’t gotten requests to take them down. Guzman is entitled to his opinions and those behind the posters are entitled to theirs, he said.

Lead image credit: Alex on Flickr Creative Commons.

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.