by Madeleine Williamson

This Petition Is Trying To Keep Disney from Whitewashing 'Mulan'

By Madeleine Williamson - Sep 17 2016

Good news for Disney fans: the company is making a live-action version of “Mulan.” Bad news for Disney fans: it may not star a Chinese actress. Sony says it plans to film the movie in China with a predominantly Chinese cast. But Hollywood has a habit of casting white actors to play people of color. Some fans worry Disney may choose a white star to play the title character in "Mulan."

These fans have taken to the Internet to voice their worries, Teen Vogue reported. A petition asking that a Chinese actress play Mulan has over 90,000 signatures. Natalie Molnar started the petition. She says that “Mulan” comes from a Chinese legend. The petition argues that Chinese audiences deserve representation, particularly in a Chinese story.

“The character, story, and fans deserve the best retelling of the story Disney can produce,” Molnar said. She’s not alone, either. The petition’s goal is 95,000 signatures and it currently has 94,435.

With the amazingly redone Jungle Book, here's to hoping that Disney can do it right once again.

Lead image credit: Walt Disney Pictures.

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.