Display 2856465717 a2effd7627 o
by Madeleine Williamson

This Football Team Suspended 32 Players For Buying School Supplies

By Madeleine Williamson - Sep 11 2016

Charleston Southern University lost 8-52 to Florida State University Saturday. FSU’s number three ranking may have been the culprit. But it’s important to note that CSU played Saturday with roughly half of its team. The University suspended 32 football players for financial aid violations, Inside Higher Ed reported Friday.

Fourteen players sat out this weekend’s game, 16 have already served their suspensions and two have yet to sit out. They were suspended for using financial aid earmarked for textbooks on other expenses. This was a violation of NCAA rules, the University contends.

CSU players have opposed their suspensions. They said they spent the textbook money on other supplies at the campus bookstore. Bookstore employees said they needed to spend leftover money, they contended.

“I'm bewildered at the lack of respect that the university is showing us athletes and student body as a whole,” player Colton Korn said in a Facebook post. Athletes at other schools receive scholarships which paid for school supplies. So, Korn said, it was unfair to punish players for using the textbook money on supplies.

Charleston Southern says it’s looking into other athletes’ violations as well. A consultant, the NCAA and its Big South Conference are helping the school do this.

“Obviously it's not the situation you want to go in with a No. 3 or 4 team in the country,” head coach Jamey Chadwell said.

Lead image credit: greghartmann on Flickr.

Madeleine Williamson - DePaul University

Madeleine Williamson is a freshman at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in political science and Spanish. She loves tea, stationery and exploring her new hometown of Chicago.